This sheet pan recipe is a super easy way to transform potatoes into a crispy delicious side-dish! Just 5 ingredients and 30 minutes, naturally vegan and Gluten-Free!
I feel like a mad scientist – my creation is aaaaalive! I’ve finally found the secret to making perfectly crisp and delicious potatoes in the oven. Attempt after attempt, I always made them too mushy and lacking that perfect crunch I was looking for. UNITL NOW!
Our favorite recipe of all time is our Crispy Baked Tofu – which, no joke, we have weekly. I coated the potatoes in the similar way as the tofu and BA-BOOM they came out perfect. And I took the seasoning inspiration from our weekend hash browns my husband always makes- he sprinkles a bit of Montreal steak spice on the top and they always taste amazing!
The trick to getting the fries crispy is, of course, corn starch 🙂 Beautiful, magical corn starch. Making bland textures crispy and thickening the thinnest of soups and sauces. I gave the potatoes a light coating before tossing in the oven and they came out PER. FECT! You can also sub arrowroot powder for a similar texture if you don’t want to use corn starch.
We had these along side Tofu Shwarma Pitas – and the combo was SO GOOD. The fries get perfectly seasoned from the Montreal Steak Spice (which is a simple mix of garlic, salt, pepper, dill) and the garlic powder takes it to the top. I even dipped them in ketchup and they were tastier than any restaurant fries. Mind blown right here!
I was quickly made these potatoes after my hubby and I did some yard work and wood chopping, all after 9-hour days at our desk jobs on a Monday night. If I can whip these together no problem after a long day, so can you!
This would also make incredible sweet potato fries, so if you prefer the sweet, go for it!
Vegan. Gluten-free. 5 ingredients. 30 minutes. Doesn’t get much easier!
Perfect Crispy Oven-Baked Fries (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Whole30)
- 6 medium red potatoes cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Montreal Steak Spice
- 3 tablespoons corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Ferenheit. Wash and scrub the potatoes under warm water. Cut into wedges and place in a very large bowl.
- Add garlic powder and Montreal Steak Spice to potatoes, and stir to make sure the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the corn starch to the bowl - and mix with your hands to make sure the potatoes are evenly coated with the corn starch.
- Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil onto a large sheet pan. Arrange the potatoes on top so that they are in an even layer. Bake for 25 minutes, flipping the potatoes half way!
- Serve with ketchup, BBQ sauce, honey mustard… whatever is your dipping medium of choice. Or just eat them plain - they’re that good.