Baked Tofu with Cornstarch is our absolute go-to favorite recipe for tofu! We have it at least once a week, and it goes well with so many other side dishes or is amazing by itself hot out of the oven.
Once the tofu is pressed/marinated, there is very little active cooking time. Just flip the tofu half way through cooking, and let the oven do its magic.
I love this tofu alongside veggie curry, with a side salad & baked potato, with risotto… or I just pack it and eat it plain for lunch the next day! Its that good!
This Crispy Baked Tofu Recipe Is:
- Crispy on the outside
- Juicy in the middle
- Loaded with Flavor
- Ready in 30 Minutes
- A Great High Protein Vegan or Vegetarian Dinner for Kids & Adults
What Makes Tofu Crispy?
What’s great about this Crispy Baked Tofu is that you can marinate it in almost anything you want. But you will want to have the following in your marinade and coating:
- A salty element: like tamari, soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- A sweet element: such as honey, agave syrup, brown sugar, or BBQ sauce (the sugar makes the tofu crisp in the oven)
- A tangy element: any vinegar will do, mirin
- An oil: I like sunflower oil, olive oil, & occasionally a few drops of sesame oil
Once the tofu is marinated, coat it with an thickener like corn starch or arrowroot powder. Then place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Place in the oven and turn half way during cooking. And voila – you have perfectly flavorful and crispy baked tofu without using a fryer!
What’s In Crispy Oven Tofu?
I get fresh produce from my garden and from Misfits Market– they sell fantastic fruit, vegetables, & pantry staples at a discounted price. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out favorite produce for delivery. Get $10 off your first box here!
- Shelf Stable Tofu – I have been LOVING these shelf-stable tofu packs.
- Garlic Powder: Also a major pantry staple ingredient that gets used in our house daily! I love this garlic powder and add it to a lot of recipes that I would use fresh garlic in too.
- Montreal Steak Spice: Our favorite spice blend, probably the one we use most in our home! Montreal Steak Spice is a blend of garlic, pepper, salt, oregano, crushed pepper flakes, and a little dill for an amazing flavor. With a half-Canadian household, you better believe we put this spice on everything!
- Corn Starch: the secret to thicken the sauce at the end, it really makes a difference. I like Anthony’s brand organic corn starch best. I use it weekly to make crispy potatoes and tofu!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sunflower Oil: our go-to oil for roasting or baking! Sunflower is a high oleic oil, so it’s best to use for high temperatures.
To make this recipe gluten free, ensure all ingredients you are using are certified gluten free, and always check the labels of ingredients before using.
More Easy Tofu Recipes You’ll Love!
Share & Make Tofu Crispy
As always, if you make this vegan and dairy free crispy cornstarch tofu recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Baked Tofu with Cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, toss the cubed tofu, garlic powder, steak spice, half of the sunflower oil, and corn starch. Toss well to combine and make sure all pieces of the tofu are coated.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and spread 1 tbsp of oil on the surface of the parchment paper. Place the tofu on the baking sheet, spacing the pieces to they don’t touch.
- Place tofu in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Flip tofu to the other side, and bake for an additional 20 minutes until tofu is crispy and beginning to brown.
- Remove tofu from the oven, sprinkle with some salt while it is still hot, and serve!
Save Money on Organic Produce!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!