This Hibiscus Simple Syrup recipe is a bright, fresh, & flavorful addition to teas and cocktails! Made with dried hibiscus flowers, sugar, and lemon.
This simple syrup with hibiscus is great to add a splash to your favorite drink. The dark sweet syrup has a gorgeous vibrant red color, making it a beautiful and natural additive to any beverage.
We absolutely love hibiscus tea on this homestead. My husband drinks many cups each day as hibiscus tea is a great way to naturally lower blood pressure. I decided to have a little fun with the hibiscus and make a simple syrup out of the dried flowers.
This simple syrup is unbelievable easy to make – just boil a few ingredients, let them steep, and strain. The result is a gorgeous deep purple tonic you can add to sweeten your favorite drinks.
This Hibiscus Simple Syrup Recipe Is:
- A Great Way to Brighten A Cocktail
- Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free
What’s The Best Hibiscus Tea To Buy?
OK, we’ve tried out many different brands – and our favorite hibiscus is from a small woman-owned Canadian company Tea by G! Her hibiscus tea has big full flowers, and no debris. We originally tried a few of the top brands on Amazon and they had sticks, stones, insects, and bird droppings (no joke)! We’ve been super happy since we upgraded to Tea By G’s organic hibiscus, and they ship to Canada & the US. Very happy customers over here – couldn’t recommend their tea blends more!
What’s In Hibiscus Simple Syrup?
- Hibiscus Flower Tea – again, Tea By G is our go-to brand for hibiscus flowers! Much better quality than the brands we initially bought on Amazon… and look at that gorgeous color!
- Water – I used normal tap water, filtered
- Granulated Sugar: I like this organic sugar for my recipes, I recommend organic sugar for cooking and baking.
- Lemon Juice: Use fresh lemons if you have it, or this really great bottled lemon that you can keep in your pantry if you don’t have fresh lemons. This organic lemon is great for dressings, dips, and even cocktails – and it tastes fresh, which is great to have around if you don’t use lemon juice everyday but still want to keep some around.
I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here!
If you think organic produce is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Fancy Cocktail Recipes For Your Next Dinner Party
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party, BBQ, or luau, this hibiscus simple syrup is a fun & easy cocktail addition to take your mixology game up a notch! I have a whole section of The Herbeevore dedicated to Entertaining Recipes, that we regularly serve to our friends and family. If you’re heading to a party, potluck, or BBQ, check out my list of top host gifts for dinner parties for that next-level gift they will love! Impress your guests, or your host, with a homemade simple-syrup that is worthy of the ‘Gram!
How Do I Make Simple Syrup with Hibiscus Flowers?
- In a saucepan, add the water, sugar, hibiscus leaves, and lemon juice (I added the whole lemon half, peel and all).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Stirring with a metal spoon (the syrup may stain a wooden one, so use caution).
- Remove the mix from the heat, and allow to steep for about an hour.
- Strain out the tea leaves and lemon, and pour the strained liquid into an airtight jar.
- Refrigerate, and use within 2 weeks.
More Fantastic Cocktail Recipes You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients For This Hibiscus Simple Syrup
As always, if you make this vegan and gluten free hibiscus simple syrup recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
For the Hibiscus Simple Syrup (makes 10 servings)
For the Margarita (makes 2 servings)
- 4 ounces tequila I used reposado
- 2 ounces hibiscus simple syrup recipe above
- 1 lime juiced
Make the Hibiscus Simple Syrup
- Make The Simple Syrup: In a saucepan, add the water, sugar, hibiscus leaves, and lime juice (I added the whole lime half, peel and all). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Stirring with a metal spoon (the syrup may stain a wooden one, so use caution). Remove the mix from the heat, and allow to steep for about an hour.
- Strain out the tea leaves and lime, and pour the strained liquid into an airtight jar. Refrigerate, and use within 2 weeks.
Mix Your Margarita
- In a margarita or rocks glass, add ice. Pour tequila over the ice. Add the hibiscus simple syrup, and squeeze in the lime juice.
- Shake, stir, and enjoy!
Save Money on Organic Groceries!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market - they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive... think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram and I'll feature you in my stories!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!