This chocolate oat milk is a great dairy-free milk to make when you want a little treat! It’s quick, easy, and extremely cost-effective too. A great pantry staple oat milk recipe for you to make with ingredients you already have in your cupboard!
This Chocolate Oat Milk Is:
- Pantry Staple friendly
- Sweet (but not TOO sweet!)
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
This oat milk is thicker than almond milk, and had a similar consistency to a cashew milk. The great thing about this recipe is that it is super versatile… if you don’t have cacao powder, no problem. The recipe below is for chocolate oat milk, but this can easily be changed for vanilla or a strawberry variety if you’re in the mood.
One of the things we struggle with around the homestead is finding a really good dairy-free alternative to milk for lattes. We were never able to find a good substitute for whole milk in lattes… until now! This thick oat milk foams nicely and tastes great with a shot of espresso.
Whats In This Chocolate Oat Milk?
- Gluten Free Oats: make sure they are GF on the packaging. You can use any kind of oats you have: steel but, instant, quick cook, whatevs!
- Water: tap, bottled, or stilled
- Raw Cacao Powder: not sweetened cocoa powder
- Dates or other sweetener: for some sweetness. If you don’t have dates, add tablespoon of honey or maple syrup… yum!
- Cinnamon: just a pinch for flavor
- Salt: just a pinch to make the flavors pop
You can also experiment with flavors and make a thicker creamer oat milk too (just use less water, more cinnamon for example).
I will definitely be testing out different types of oat milks in the near future, but wanted to share this yummy Chocolate version first!! Great for breakfast, for smoothies, or for a late night chocolate fix.
Make sure the oats you are using are gluten free. Most oats are but look for the GF stamp on the packaging. This chocolate oat milk is also totally nut free so it’s perfect for those with nut allergies!
As always, if you make this homemade chocolate oat milk recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Homemade Chocolate Oat Milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 5 Medjool dates Or 2 tablespoons honey or sweetener of choice
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Add water and oats to a blender, soak for 10 minutes.
- Blend oats and water on high for a few minutes until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
- Place a nut milk bag or cheesecloth over a pitcher, and pour the oat mixture into the bag. Strain for a few minutes, and wring out any oat milk through the bag before finishing.
- Add the oat milk back to the blender with the dates, cacao powder, cinnamon, and salt. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes until dates are completely incorporated into milk.
- Store in an airtight container and chill overnight