This Moroccan Lentil Soup with Chickpeas is a creamy, healthy soup loaded with vegetables, spices, and plant based protein. A hearty meal that was simple to make – vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free!
This soup is loaded with both red lentils and beans for a hearty and creamy texture. Serve this with copious amounts of fresh pita bread and herbs, and you’ll have a fantastic dinner ready in no time!
I adapted this recipe from my mother in law, and it was amazing! She made it for us for dinner the last time we visiting and I couldn’t get enough. I mean, anything with coconut cream is going to be amazing – but the combination of the cool coconut with the warm broth spices is absolutely perfect.
I always love finding new ways to jazz up chickpeas. My favorite recipe lately has been the Easy Weeknight Coconut Chickpea Curry. This recipe starts out similar but has a completely new and different flavor profile. Its such a cozy dish for a cool fall or winter night.
This Moroccan Lentil Soup with Chickpeas Is:
- Perfectly Spiced
- Loaded with Vegetables
- Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
One of the BEST Pantry Stew Recipes
This Moroccan lentil soup recipe is a fantastic pantry-staple meal! It uses almost all ingredients you would have in your dry pantry or cupboards – most of which you probably have on hand. Keeping a well-stocked pantry makes it easy to come up with delicious and healthy meals using a few staples you can rotate.
I made a list of my Top 125 Plant-Based Pantry Staples that always keep stocked. And you can check out all my favorite pantry staple ingredients in my Amazon shop here. By stocking up on healthy whole ingredients you can cook delicious recipes without a trip to the store!
What’s In This Moroccan Chickpea Stew Recipe?
I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here!
If you think organic produce is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
- No Salt Added / Low Sodium Chickpeas: one of my favorite pantry staple ingredients! You can use canned chickpeas (I’d highly recommend a low sodium or no salt version), or you can make your own chickpeas from scratch in the Instant Pot.
- Crushed Tomatoes: I only use no salt added crushed tomatoes, these boxed tomatoes are really great to stock up on! I like boxed tomatoes better because they are BPA free and more eco-friendly than aluminum cans. If you haven’t read about the dangers of consuming foods stored in BPA cans, head over to Nutrition Facts to read more.
- Cinnamon: which gives this dish a subtle spice-y flavor! I love to add in a pinch for extra warmth and depth of flavor.
- Low Sodium Vegetable Stock – I like to use this low sodium vegetable stock for my recipes because it has great flavor… without all the salt. I always use low sodium or no-salt-added broth or stock to start, and then I can add salt or other spices later if needed.
- Red Lentils: one of my favorite legumes to stock up on! I always keep a few pounds of these on hand, they are great to throw into soups like this as they dissolve and you can’t even tell they are there.
- Coconut Milk: I use unsweetened full-fat coconut milk, which I’d definitely recommend over lite coconut milk. The flavor makes this dish super rich and creamy without any dairy.
Meal Prep Soup Recipes For the Win!
This Moroccan Lentil soup is the perfect recipe for healthy homemade meal prep. I am a huge fan of meal prepping, batch cooking, and making recipes ahead. I love the convenience of cooking once and being able to enjoy healthy homemade meals during the week when I don’t have time. There’s a whole section of TheHerbeevore.com dedicated to my favorite tried & true meal prep recipes. With just a little planning and prep, you can have a week’s worth of recipes ready in the time it would take to make one portion. Just batch cook, divide into individual containers, and place in the fridge or freezer for later! I also made a list of my favorite meal prep products on Amazon that I use weekly. They make cooking easy.
More High Protein Vegan Soup Recipes You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients for this Moroccan Lentil Chickpea Soup Recipe
As always, if you make this vegan and gluten free Moroccan Lentil Soup with Chickpeas recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Moroccan Lentil Soup with Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Red Onion diced
- 4 large carrots sliced
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1.5 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Tellicherry Black Pepper
- 4 cups No-Salt-Added Vegetable Stock
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk, full fat
- 1 crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 No-Salt-Added Chickpeas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil on low and sauté the garlic and onions for 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the carrots, and sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the coriander, cinnamon, crushed pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and continue to sauce for a few minutes until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the vegetable stock, coconut milk, tomatoes, and lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cilantro and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat, and add in the lemon juice.
- Serve over rice. Add additional chopped red onion, coconut cream, or cilantro to garnish.
Save Money on Organic Groceries!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market - they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive... think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram and I'll feature you in my stories!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!