This thick Creamy Chick Pea soup with roasted tomatoes has a smoky flavor and great texture. A high protein soup to meal prep and batch cook.
This is the perfect hearty soup for a cool summer night. Or winter day, or a spring lunch, for the fall… OK any time of the year really. Its great when tomatoes are in season during the summer but its filling and comforting enough for all year.
I made this soup after buying a ton of yummy tomatoes and not knowing what to do with them. We always have plenty of canned chickpeas in the cupboard, so this soup is always easy to put together 🙂
Roasting the veggies and tomatoes in the oven gives this creamy chickpea soup a really sweet and deep flavor.
Creamy Chickpea & Roasted Tomato Soup (Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian)
- 8 fresh tomatoes quartered
- 2 zucchini sliced
- 6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil divided
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 3 No-Salt-Added Chickpeas
- 4 cups No-Salt-Added Vegetable Stock
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash of cayenne
- fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425. Add the tomatoes, zucchini, and garlic to a roasting pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast the veggies for 30-40 minutes until they become soft and
- In a large soup pot, head the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 8-10 minutes on low. Once the roasted tomatoes and zucchini are done, add them to the soup pot. Add the chickpeas, vegetable stock, nutritional yeast, basil, and rest of the spices. Simmer on low for 30-45 minutes until tomatoes and chickpeas begin to soften.
- Place half of the soup in a blender, and blend on high. Pour the blended soup back in with the unblinded and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or crispy chickpeas and serve hot.