This smoked tofu noodle soup recipe is a great alternative to chicken noodle soup without the meat! A light and herby soup with smoked tofu, a great lunch or dinner recipe.
This is a hearty plant-based soup recipe to make with leftover tofu – hearty and satisfying!
Last year as a housewarming gift, our friends gave us a huge meat smoker. It’s great for entertaining when we have a lot of people over for a gathering or party. Its super easy to throw a bunch of prepped and marinated things in the morning and have them ready by dinner time.
One thing we love to smoke is tofu! There are usually a few vegetarians at every party, and the smoked tofu is a great way to get some plant-based protein on the menu. We had a ton of leftover smoked tofu from a party last weekend, so this soup was created! I love how it tastes a traditional homemade chicken soup yet its completely vegan.
This Smoked Tofu Noodle Soup Recipe Is:
- Loaded with Vegetables
- Vegan, Vegetarian, and Can be Gluten Free
How To Cook Pasta for Soup
For most of my recipes, I cook the pasta separately from the soup broth. If you add dried pasta directly to a hot soup, you run the risk of having the dried pasta soak up all the broth and overcook the noodles (turning it soup into a mushy mess). I’ve found that cooking the pasta separately, then serving the broth over the noodles in a bowl works best.
I allow the soup to cool, then add the cooked pasta after. That way you’ll have perfectly cooked pasta that holds it shape and a delicious brothy soup.
The smoky flavor from the tofu is perfect in the soup and really infuses in the broth. I used little star-shaped pasta in this recipe (because they are CUTE and I was keeping them around for this perfect soup occasion) but it would also work with any other short pasta – orzo, macaroni, ditalini, etc.
What’s In This Tofu Soup Recipe?
I get fresh produce from my garden and from Misfits Market– they sell fantastic fruit, vegetables, & pantry staples at a discounted price. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out favorite produce for delivery. Get $10 off your first box here!
- Carrots, Celery, Parsley, Onions
- Olive Oil: I like to use this fruity olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s really inexpensive online here, so I keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value, I would highly recommend!
- No Salt Vegetable Stock or Bouillon: I love this no salt vegetable base for my recipes because it has a great flavor and is lower in sodium. I only develop my recipes with low sodium ingredients so the ingredients shine. You can always add salt to a recipe if it needs it, but it’s almost impossible to take it out! By starting with a low sodium broth or bouillon, you can build bright vibrant flavors and add more salt later if needed.
- Gluten Free Star Pasta – I used this little gluten free star pasta, which is a really fun shape for kids!
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Tellicherry Peppercorns: Like the salt, it’s amazing the flavor difference you can get with really good tellicherry black pepper. Amazon has a generic brand tellicherry peppercorn which is the same price is buying pre-ground, and has a million times more flavor… so I use these really great tellicherry peppercorns, which I would definitely recommend.
More Easy Tofu Recipes You’ll Love
Share this Smoked Tofu Noodle Soup Recipe
If you make this easy tofu noodle soup recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipes!
Let’s keep in touch – subscribe to my monthly newsletter to get free recipe inspiration.
Smoked Tofu Noodle Soup
- 1.5 (14 ounce) Packages smoked tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cups celery chopped
- 6 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 10 cups No-Salt-Added Vegetable Stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) package Pasta I used stars, but any small shape will do
- freshly ground Tellicherry Black Pepper
- Himalayan sea salt if needed
- Dice the smoked tofu into small bite-sized pieces
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onions and garlic, sauté for 5 minutes on low until soft. Add the carrots and celery, and sauté for another 5 minutes on low.
- Add the vegetable stock and thyme and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the smoked tofu and parsley, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- When ready to serve, add desired amount of pasta in bowl and ladle the soup over it.
- Once the large soup pot has cooled, add the remainder of the pasta so it doesn’t absorb too much hot liquid.
Save Money on Organic Produce!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!