I love an easy, simple, and delicious recipe – and this Easy Egg Drop Soup fits all 3 categories. It comes together in about 10 minutes, only requires a few ingredients, and is super comforting and filling.
Growing up, we had a really great Chinese restaurant in my town – and whenever my family went we would always get Egg Drop Soup. I remember it being such a treat- thick and eggy with a yellow hue and bright green onions in the broth. As an adult when I get Chinese food now, Egg Drop is still my favorite.
One of our favorite recipes on the homestead is Crispy Baked Tofu. This Easy Egg Drop Soup is a great side to have with it. The sesame oil really completes the dish and gives the soup a complex flavor. Adjust the chili flakes for more/less spice as you’d like 🙂
Serve this soup along side a veggie stir fry, fried rice, sweet & sour tofu… or just on its own! Vegetarian and naturally gluten-free!
Easy Weeknight Egg Drop Soup (Vegetarian, Gluten Free)
For the Soup
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 cup green onion finely chopped
- Drizzle of tamari or soy sauce
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl, and quickly scramble with a fork. In a medium sauce pan, mix the vegetable stock and corn starch and whisk together.
- Turn burner on medium heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the sesame oil and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Slowly whisk the scrambled eggs into the broth and continue to a stir with a fork until the eggs become thin ribbons.
- Turn off heat and garish with green onions and a drizzle of tamari for flavor.