This Vegetarian Egg Drop Soup Recipe is simple, comforting, and quick- ready in 10 minutes, this soup only has a few ingredients and is a tasty weeknight meal. Great to serve along side a stir fry, crispy baked tofu, or spring rolls.
This vegetarian egg drop soup recipe is one of the simplest and quickest recipes around! Growing up, we had a really great Chinese restaurant in my town – and whenever my family went we would always get Egg Drop Soup. I remember it being such a treat- thick and eggy with a yellow hue and bright green onions in the broth. As an adult, Egg Drop is still my favorite – but I like to make a healthier version at home.
One of our favorite recipes on the homestead is Crispy Baked Tofu. This Easy Egg Drop Soup is a great side to have with it. The sesame oil really completes the dish and gives the soup a complex flavor. Adjust the chili flakes for more/less spice as you’d like. Serve this soup along side a veggie stir fry, fried rice, sweet & sour tofu… or just on its own! Vegetarian and naturally gluten-free.
This Vegetarian Egg Drop Soup Recipe Is:
- A Little Spicy
- Simple to Make
- Vegetarian, Gluten Free, and SO good!
Easy Weeknight Soup Recipes
This gluten free egg drop soup is what I call an Easy Weeknight Meal – which is on your table in about 30 minutes. These quick and simple recipes are perfect for those nights when you want a healthy homecooked meal but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
I have a whole section of The Herbeevore dedicated to Easy Weeknight Meals, that are great for the whole family. From soups and stews, to pastas and proteins – a healthy meal can be on your table in no time. Even faster than ordering takeout!
What’s In This Vegetarian Egg Drop Soup Recipe?
I love shopping for fresh produce through Misfits Market – they sell groceries, healthy pantry staples, and fantastic food finds (even wine!) at a discounted price. Choose your favorite seasonal produce, save up to 40% off grocery store prices & save time by getting free delivery right to your door!
- Low Sodium Vegetable Stock – I like to use this low sodium vegetable stock for my recipes because it has great flavor… without all the salt. I always use low sodium or no-salt-added broth or stock to start, and then I can add salt or other spices later if needed.
- Corn Starch: the secret to thicken the soup at the end, it really makes a difference. I like Anthony’s brand organic corn starch best. I use it weekly to make crispy potatoes and tofu too!
- Toasted Sesame Oil: The sesame oil gives the perfect toasty flavor to the soup. Toasted sesame oil has a ton of flavor, so you only need a few drops.
- Red Chili Pepper Flakes: for a little heat! I like to add a few shakes to this recipe to give this dish a nice complex depth of flavor.
- Tamari: tamari is a gluten-free version of soy sauce. Tamari has a bright salty flavor, and adds a really nice depth of umami to this dish. If I am cooking for a crowd, I always use this tamari in my recipes just in case anyone at the table has a gluten allergy, so everyone can enjoy this meal.
Make Egg Drop Soup Gluten Free for a Healthier Version
This gluten free egg drop soup recipe is a simple meal to make without the wheat. I’m all about making recipes gluten free when I can. Gluten free cooking does NOT have to be bland, boring, or flavorless… It’s quite the opposite when done right. By building meals around gluten free pantry staples and swapping in a few wheat-less ingredients you can make healthier meals for you and your family.
I made a list of my 125 favorite gluten free pantry ingredients that we use on a weekly basis, and check out all my gluten free recipes here that are on The Herbeevore. These easy and healthy recipes are fantastic meals for everyone at your table.
More Easy Soup Recipes You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients for This Egg Drop Soup without Gluten
As always, if you make this vegetarian egg drop soup recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Vegetarian Egg Drop Soup
For the Soup
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl, and quickly scramble with a fork. In a medium sauce pan, mix the vegetable stock and corn starch and whisk together.
- Turn burner on medium heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the sesame oil and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Slowly whisk the scrambled eggs into the broth and continue to a stir with a fork until the eggs become thin ribbons.
- Turn off heat and garish with green onions and a drizzle of tamari for flavor.
Save Money on Fresh Groceries & Pantry Staples!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell organic produce at a discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from farmers to reduce food waste. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can save up to 40% off grocery store prices. If you think produce delivery is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a try!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!