This Swiss Bircher Muesli Recipe for Overnight Oats is a healthy hearty breakfast. A no-cook meal with fruit, oats, and nuts.
This traditional Swiss bircher muesli takes about 5 minutes to prep the night before. A fantastic breakfast to bring to work or school. Prep and enjoy on the go.
When my husband and I were visiting Switzerland, bircher muesli was one of the best things we ate there (aside from the fondue, and Swiss chocolate, and raclette, of course). We wanted to bring that traditional Bircher muesli recipe back west with us.
We stayed in Basil, Switzerland with our family friend Chris, he kindly introduced us to this fantastic fruity and hearty breakfast. We were hooked!
I recreated this traditional bircher muesli with simple ingredients for a healthy breakfast you can make the night before.
This Swiss Bircher Muesli Recipe is:
- Vegetarian & can be made Gluten Free
A Healthy Breakfast With Oats To Enjoy Every Morning
This overnight Swiss oats recipe is a fantastic way to start your day on the right foot! This breakfast makes it easy to get your whole grains in first thing in the morning.
I add plenty of fruit (you can use fresh or frozen) to sweeten this muesli. Only good-for-you whole ingredients go into this bowl, making it a great way to rise & shine! You can browse all our oat recipes here.
What’s In Bircher Muesli?
I stock up on organic produce with Misfits Market – they have a fantastic selection of in-season fruits & veggies, healthy pantry items, and great food finds for a fraction of grocery store prices! You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here!
- Old Fashioned Oats: I used old fashioned oats for this recipe. I found old fashioned oats work much better than quick oats, as they hold up really well overnight.
- Milk of choice – for a creamy version use whole milk, for a lighter version use 2% or skim milk.
- Pumpkin Seeds – give a delicious crunch!
- Dried Cranberries: These delicious dried cranberries are naturally sweetened. They add a fantastic tang to this recipe, so load them in this bircher muesli!
- Walnuts: because YUM. I stocked up a few bags of these Amazon-brand walnuts which are super cheap and a great value for the quality.
- Brown Sugar: I like to use a dark brown sugar in this recipe because I find it has a really nice flavor.
- Orange Juice
Simple Breakfasts Without Cooking
This no-cook muesli recipe is a quick and simple breakfast. I love a good no-cook recipe for those days when I’m not feeling like standing around the stove, or for summer mornings when it’s too hot to cook. I have a whole collection of recipes that require zero cooking at all, check them out here!
This overnight muesli comes together quickly, and doesn’t require the stove or microwave to make. Just use a few pantry staple ingredients and you have a healthy meal ready in no time. And very little to clean up afterwards… an added bonus!
Make This Muesli Recipe Overnight with Gluten Free Ingredients
This gluten free bircher muesli recipe is a simple meal to make without the wheat. I’m all about making recipes gluten free when I can. Gluten free cooking does NOT have to be bland, boring, or flavorless… It’s quite the opposite when done right. Make sure you use a certified gluten free oats variety, and GF ingredients.
By building meals around gluten free pantry staples and swapping in a few wheat-less ingredients you can make healthier meals for you and your family. I made a list of my 125 favorite gluten free pantry ingredients that we use on a weekly basis, and check out all my gluten free recipes here that are on The Herbeevore. These easy and healthy recipes are fantastic meals for everyone at your table.
More Simple Breakfast Ideas You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients For This Swiss Bircher Muesli Recipe
As always, if you make this gluten free overnight bircher muesli be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch – make sure to sign up for my newsletter to get free recipe inspiration. And don’t forget to follow over on Pinterest, Instagram , & my YouTube channel – I’d love to connect with you there!
Swiss Bircher Muesli Recipe (Overnight Oats)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl, and mix to combine.
- Serve and store into individual serving containers (I like mason jars, but you can use any airtight container.)
- Refrigerate 6 to 8 hours, and enjoy the next morning for a healthy breakfast on the go! Garnish with additional cranberries or pumpkin seeds before serving.
Save Money on Fresh Groceries & Pantry Staples!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market - they sell produce & pantry staples (even wine!) at a super discounted price. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! Give Misfits Market a look if you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram and I'll feature you in my stories!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support us!