I made this side dish for our 4th of July BBQ, and WOW was it flavorful! Make-ahead dishes are great for entertaining, and this one is perfect. This potato salad, especially the dressing, is waaaay different from the heavy stuff I’ve had growing up! Its filled with tons of fresh and vibrant veggies, bold flavors (hello dill!), and a wonderful creamy/crunchy texture when its all mixed together.
I used Yukon Gold potatoes (because thats what I had in the pantry) and they worked out really nicely. The cooked potatoes slightly fell apart once I stirred them in the dressing, making the potato salad thick but not mushy! I would recommend leaving the skins on the potatoes. I did because extra vitamins… and I’m lazy. But this salad would look beautiful with purple or red potato as well- extra rainbow color from the skins.
This recipe is fantastic for entertaining, a huge crowd pleaser, and a far departure from the fatty lumpy potato salad I had growing up!
Rainbow Potato Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Healthy)
For the Salad
- 8 small/medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes diced into bite sized pieces (About 6 cups diced)
- 1 red pepper finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 dill pickle spears chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy yogurt
- 4 tablespoons pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In a large pot, add the diced potatoes and add enough cold water to just cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for 8-10 minutes until potatoes are tender and can be pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, add the red and green bell pepper, celery, carrots, pickle, onion, dill, and parsley to a large mixing bowl.
- Once potatoes are finished, drain and rinse with cool water to stop cooking. Add the cooled potatoes to the mixing bowl with the vegetables.
- In a pint sized mason jar, add all the dressing ingredients and shake for 30 seconds to mix.
- Toss dressing in with potatoes and vegetables, and stir to coat.
- Chill potato salad in refrigerator (overnight if possible to let the flavors set) and serve!