This Mediterranean Black Bean Salad recipe is is a bright & fresh salad perfect for a dinner appetizer or side dish! Loaded with fresh vegetables, kalamata olives, and feta cheese this salad is as impressive as it is delicious.
The homemade vinaigrette elevates this black bean salad to the next level. This easy black bean salad is the perfect starter or side dish with any main course: pizza, pasta, or BBQ fare! It’s also great to bring to a potluck or dinner party, and will definitely go fast.
We just finished expanding our garden this year (we added 3 new raised beds!) and we are growing so many cucumbers and tomatoes. I’m always on the lookout for fantastic and fresh recipes that feature our garden bounty. This Mediterranean bean salad is the perfect dish to let these flavorful ingredients shine.
I made this simple salad for lunch, it takes about 5-10 minutes to prep, and is super lunch break friendly. It’s vegetarian and gluten free too, so it’s a great option if you are looking for a filling meatless dish. If you are avoiding dairy, you can use a vegan feta cheese, which is a delicious substitute for traditional feta. Serve with pita bread and dig in!
This Mediterranean Black Bean Salad Is:
- Awesome to make for a party
- A crowd-pleaser recipe!
A Fantastic Vegetarian Pot Luck Salad
I will always be the person bringing veggies to the party! And this pot luck vegetarian black bean salad makes it super easy to do just that. I love giant loaded salads, especially when there are so many delicious vegetables to add. I made this salad on request for a Super Bowl party, and it got rave reviews! My other favorite Game Day recipe is my Oven Baked Veggie Kabobs. These recipes are perfect examples that plant-based food does NOT have to be boring.
What’s In This Mediterranean Salad with Black Beans?
I stock up on organic produce with Misfits Market – they have a fantastic selection of in-season fruits & veggies, healthy pantry items, and great food finds for a fraction of grocery store prices! You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here!
- Black Beans: Use no salt added or low sodium beans for better flavor and control of the salt in this dish. I only use low or no sodium beans in my recipes. You can always add salt in, but it’s impossible to take out.
- Mixed Greens for the base: but you can use any lettuce or spinach that you like for a salad base
- Chopped Veggies: tomatoes and cucumbers! This is super versatile so you can swap out any veggies you have on hand and add them to your salad.
- Kalamata Olives: make sure they are pitted! I love the rich briny flavor of these kalamata olives, which have a purple hue and a really nice flavor. These Greek olives are fantastic for adding to salads, to dips, or just as a quick snack
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: I like to use this fruity Zoe olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s inexpensive & I like to keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value.
- Red Wine Vinegar: I used red wine vinegar for the marinade to give this dish a really nice bright Mediterranean flavor – for that, this red wine vinegar is my go-to!
- Feta Cheese – use regular feta if you like, or my vegan/dairy free feta cheese recipe is simple to make with tofu!
Easy Homemade Cucumber Salad Dressing with Red Wine Vinegar
I learned from making my Greek Pasta Salad, that nothing beats a homemade dressing! I normally use a simple homemade dressing with 5-6 ingredients, but I simplified for this Mediterranean cucumber salad. With all the complex flavors in this dish (tomatoes, olives, feta) I stuck or normal red wine vinegar and olive oil. Yep, that’s all! I would highly recommend making a simple vinegar and oil dressing yourself (rather than using a store bought bottled dressing). Keep it simple, and delicious.
More Filling Vegetarian Salad Recipes You’ll Love:
Get the Same Ingredients for this Easy Mediterranean Cucumber and Tomato Salad Recipe
As always, if you make this vegetarian and gluten free black bean tomato salad recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch – make sure to sign up for my newsletter to get fresh recipes weekly. And don’t forget to follow over on Pinterest, Instagram , & my YouTube channel – I’d love to connect with you there!
Mediterranean Black Bean Salad
For the Salad
- 2 cups mixed greens or lettuce of choice
- 1 large cucumber chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup No-Salt-Added black beans drained
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted
- 1/2 cup feta cheese *see below for vegan version
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Himalayan Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- In a large bowl, add the washed mixed greens to the bottom.
- Arrange the kalamata olives, cucumbers, black beans and tomatoes on top of the salad.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano. Pour dressing over the top.
- Just before serving, add the dressing and toss the salad to evenly coat. Add feta right before serving.
Vegan / Dairy Free FetaIf you eat vegan or dairy free, my vegan/dairy free feta cheese recipe is is a fantastic & high protein substitute in this recipe!
Save Money on Organic Produce!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market - they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive... think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram and I'll feature you in my stories!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!