This coleslaw macaroni salad combines everything great about a summer backyard BBQ side dish! Creamy, tangy, sweet, and something everyone at your table will love.
Perfect for a cookout, backyard BBQ, or holiday potluck! Amazing flavors of summer in one easy side dish.
This coleslaw pasta salad is an absolutely delicious hybrid of my two favorite dishes for a summer BBQ: pasta salad and classic coleslaw. I love hosting big summer backyard bashes, and I always have pasta salad and coleslaw on the table for everyone to enjoy – and now it can be made in one easy side!
I joked with my family that this is probably the most Midwestern thing I’ve ever made. As a midwestern-er I grew up eating ALL the creamy salads, and loving every one: pasta salads, bean salads, cucumber salad, egg salad, the list really goes on & on! This is a new twist on two classics, and it couldn’t be easier to make.
This Coleslaw Macaroni Salad Recipe Is:
- Sweet & Salty
- Packed with flavor
- Great to Make Ahead! It tastes better if it sits overnight in the fridge.
30 Minute Side Dishes for Entertaining
This coleslaw macaroni salad is what I call an Easy Entertaining Recipe – which is on your table in about 30 minutes. These quick and simple recipes are perfect for those last-minute potluck invites, or when you just want a tasty home cooked meal but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen. I have a whole section of The Herbeevore dedicated to Easy Meals, that are great for the whole family.
From soups and stews, to pastas and proteins – a quick meal can be on your table in no time. Just as fast as grabbing a quick prepared side dish from the store (and way more impressive too)! If you’re heading to a party, potluck, or BBQ, check out my list of top host gifts for summer entertaining for that next-level gift your host will love!
What’s In This Pasta Salad?
I get fresh produce from my garden and from Misfits Market– they sell fantastic fruit, vegetables, & pantry staples at a discounted price. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out favorite produce for delivery. Get $10 off your first box here!
- Macaroni Noodles: you can use any kind you prefer! To make this gluten free, these macaroni pasta noodles work perfect in this recipe. If you aren’t gluten free, then you can use normal macaroni, whole wheat, or a veggie pasta.
- Coleslaw Mix: I find this in the produce section and it usually contains green cabbage, carrots, and sometimes red cabbage. Use any slaw mix you’d like, they have some fun ones with broccoli an Brussels sprouts nowadays. You can also skip the mix and shred your own cabbage instead.
- White Balsamic Vinegar – this may seem like a very specific addition to my pantry but it is my favorite vinegar! It’s the secret to the perfect coleslaw or kidney bean salad. When I can find this on sale, I stock up!
- Classic Mayonnaise: I like to use this classic mayo to keep this recipe plant-based, but you can use whatever mayo that you would normally use in recipes. If you don’t normally like mayo, try my homemade dairy-free version… it’s creamy but still plant based.
- Garlic Powder: Also a major pantry staple ingredient that gets used in our house daily! I love this garlic powder and add it to a lot of recipes that I would use fresh garlic in too.
- Onion Powder: adds a delicious and savory flavor to this dish as well, and the onion powder pairs nicely with the raw onion in the salad.
Inexpensive and Affordable Pasta Salad Recipes For Everyone
I love how inexpensive pasta salads are to make! This recipe uses a lot of ingredients you would have in your fridge or cupboards – most of which you probably have on hand. Keeping a well-stocked pantry makes it easy to come up with delicious meals using a few staples you can rotate.
I made a list of my Top 125 Plant-Based Pantry Staples that always keep stocked. And you can check out all my favorite pantry staple ingredients in my Amazon shop here. By stocking up on whole ingredients you can cook delicious recipes without a trip to the store!
How Do I Make This Macaroni Salad with Coleslaw Mix?
Cook the Pasta according to packaging instructions. Drain, set aside, and allow to Cool
Mix all other ingredients in a bowl! Cover and allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours for the flavors to mix… but preferably overnight as it only gets better the second day.
Fun Pasta Salad Recipes in No Time!
This coleslaw macaroni salad is what I call an Easy Weeknight Meal – which is on your table in about 30 minutes. These quick and simple recipes are perfect for those nights when you want a tasty homecooked meal but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen. I have a whole section of The Herbeevore dedicated to Easy Weeknight Meals, that are great for the whole family. From soups and stews, to pastas and proteins – a quick meal can be on your table in no time. Even faster than ordering takeout!
More Vegetarian BBQ Side Dishes You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients for this Coleslaw Macaroni Salad Recipe
If you make this easy coleslaw mac salad recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipes!
Let’s keep in touch – subscribe to my monthly newsletter to get free recipe inspiration.
Coleslaw Macaroni Saslad
- 8 ounces macaroni use gluten free if desired
- 1 package coleslaw mix or 4 cups shredded green & red cabbage and 1 shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayo or substitute vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Tellicherry Black Pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, allow to cool, and place in a large bowl.
- Once pasta has cooled, add the rest of the ingredients together and stir until well mixed.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight) to allow flavors to combine.
Save Money on Organic Produce!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!