This creamy kidney bean salad is loaded with fresh vegetables, healthy beans, and dressed in a sweet and tangy dressing! It’s my attemt at recreating White Fence Farm’s kidney bean salad recipe, which is incredibly delicious. I also attempted a White Fence Farm Copycat Coleslaw Recipe and their amazing White Fence Farm Pickled Beets too!
If you are a lover of kidney bean salad, this will be your new go-to recipe! It’s adapted from one of my family’s favorite restaurants: White Fence Farm in Romeoville, IL. I have so many memories of going there as a child. And every time I go back to Chicago now I make sure to save some room for a big meal there (which is especially easy since my husband is a WFF convert as well).
Note: This isn’t White Fence Farm’s official recipe, its just my adaptation!
White Fence Farm is known for their fried chicken, but a major draw is their unlimited “relishes” which come out before the meal. They made delicious fried corn fritters, coleslaw, pickled beets, cottage cheese, and kidney bean salad. Just to note: the following recipe is my adaptation, it did not come from the restaurant. But I would 100% recommend a trip to White Fence Farm if you are in the Chicago area! It’s a real gem.
Since my husband and I now live hundreds of miles from White Fence Farm, this recipe is perfect copy to make when I have a craving for their kidney beans. Its creamy but also surprisingly light with all the fresh chopped vegetables. I like to use dark red kidney beans, but you could use light or a combination of both.
OK, So What’s In This White Fence Farm Bean Salad Recipe?
- Dark Red Kidney Beans: You can use canned, or cook your own dried beans from scratch. If you use canned I’d recommend a no salt added variety like these, so the salad isn’t too salty.
- Yellow Onion
- Diced Celery
- Red Bell Pepper
- Mayonnaise: you can use regular mayo, or substitute a vegan version like this one here. I found both options taste pretty good, so if I am making this recipe for a crowd I use a vegan mayo so evereyone can enjoy!
- Sweet Relish
- Onion Powder
- White Pepper: I’d recommend white pepper over normal ground pepper – it gives the dish a much lighter flavor and a nice kick. I bought Amazon’s brand of white pepper for a few bucks and have been loving it!
This is a perfect side dish to bring to a picnic or BBQ, and comes together pretty quickly. You do need to refrigerate for a few hours before serving so make sure to plan to make this recipe the a day before for perfection.
My dad makes an amazing version of this recipe, so this is his adaptation of the salad he makes. We’ve made this during a few different BBQs and parties, and it gets rave reviews from our guests!
As always, if you make this creamy kidney bean salad be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
White Fence Farm Kidney Bean Salad: Copy Cat Recipe (Vegetarian, Vegan Option)
- 4 (14.5 ounce) Cans dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 stalks celery finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or sub veganaise
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste (I put in a couple of shakes)
- Drain and rinse kidney beans. Put them in a very large mixing bowl.
- Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and stir to combine. Add the mayonnaise, relish, onion powder, seasoning salt, black pepper, and Red Pepper Flakes. Stir all ingredients together, and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Cover bowl, and refrigerate 4 hours before serving, or preferably overnight.
- Store in an airtight container. Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days.
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you!