This creamy kidney bean salad recipe is loaded with fresh vegetables, hearty beans, and dressed in a sweet and tangy dressing! It’s a bright and crunchy salad that is a perfect side salad for serving at your next barbecue, gathering, or holiday meal.
This creamy kidney bean salad is inspired by White Fence Farm’s recipe, which is incredibly delicious. It’s a simple bean salad with fresh veggies. I also attempted a White Fence Farm Copycat Coleslaw Recipe and their amazing White Fence Farm Pickled Beets too!
If you are a lover of kidney bean salad, this will be your new go-to recipe. It’s adapted from one of my family’s favorite restaurants: White Fence Farm in Romeoville, IL. I have so many memories of going there as a child. And every time I go back to Chicago now I make sure to save some room for a big meal there (which is especially easy since my husband is a WFF convert as well).
Note: This isn’t White Fence Farm’s official recipe, its just my adaptation!
This salad comes together in about 10 minutes if you use canned beans. This salad is a great make-ahead dish, or even nice as a light lunch. It’s one of our favorite bean recipes that we enjoy all year long.
This Creamy Kidney Bean Salad Recipe Is:
- A Crowd Pleaser
- Vegetarian and High Protein
A Classic Kidney Bean Salad Recipe
White Fence Farm is known for their fried chicken, but a major draw is their unlimited “relishes” which come out before the meal. They made delicious fried corn fritters, coleslaw, pickled beets, cottage cheese, and kidney bean salad.
I would 100% recommend a trip to White Fence Farm if you are in the Chicago area! It’s a real gem. Even though I live 1000 miles away, I always make a stop there when I am in Chicago.
Our Favorite Bean Salad with Kidney Beans
Since my husband and I now live hundreds of miles from White Fence Farm, this easy bean salad recipe is perfect copy to make when I have a craving for their kidney beans. This tasty salad is creamy but also surprisingly light with all the fresh chopped vegetables and simple dressing. A great salad any time of year!
I like to use dark red kidney beans, but you could use light or a combination of both. It’s a good salad or side dish recipe that is a great source of protein from the beans. Browse all our bean recipes here to find your next favorite!
What’s In This Red Bean Salad Recipe?
- Dark Red Kidney Beans: You can use canned, or cook your own red beans from scratch. If you use canned I’d recommend a no salt added variety like these, so the salad isn’t too salty.
- Yellow Onion – I usually use yellow onions, but you can use white or red onion for a spicier version.
- Diced Celery
- Bell Peppers: If you don’t have fresh peppers, these sweet roasted red peppers are a great substitute! I love adding them to breakfast bakes, sandwiches or wraps, and soups.
- Mayonnaise: you can use regular mayo in this creamy dressing, or even half mayo half sour cream.
- Sweet Relish: which gives this dish a little extra flavor boost and a nice added sweetness. You can use chopped sweet pickles instead.
- Onion Powder: adds a delicious and savory flavor to this dish as well, and the onion powder pairs nicely with the flavors in the salad.
- White Pepper: I’d recommend white pepper over normal ground pepper – it gives the dish a much lighter flavor and a nice kick. I bought Amazon’s brand of white pepper for a few bucks and have been loving it!
Canned Kidney Beans Versus Homemade
While I love the convenience of canned beans, I usually cook dry beans from scratch in my pressure cooker The texture is better and it’s a bit more affordable. I use a 7.5-Quart Instant Pot which is larger than the standard model so I can batch cook more at a time.
Next time you reach for the canned beans, think about investing in a pressure cooker instead! Homemade beans are inexpensive, and make great recipes in a pinch.
This is a perfect side dish to bring to a picnic or BBQ, and comes together pretty quickly. You do need to refrigerate for a few hours before serving (although it can be served at room temperature) so make sure to plan to make this recipe the a day before for perfection.
How to Make Kidney Bean Salad
- Drain and rinse kidney beans under cold water. Put them in a large bowl.
- Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and stir well to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the dressing ingredients: mayonnaise, relish, onion powder, seasoning salt, and black pepper. Stir all ingredients together, and taste. Adjust seasoning (adding more salt, pepper, or mayo) if needed. Pour dressing over the kidney bean salad, and toss well to combine.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container. Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days.
Share This Creamy Kidney Bean Salad Recipe
As always, if you make this red kidney bean salad recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipes!
Let’s keep in touch – make sure to subscribe to my monthly newsletter to get free recipe inspiration.
Creamy Kidney Bean Salad
- 2 (14.5 ounce) Cans dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 sweet onion finely diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 stalks celery finely diced
- 1/2 bell pepper finely diced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise or sub veganaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Tellicherry Black Pepper
- Drain and rinse kidney beans. Put them in a very large mixing bowl.
- Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and stir to combine. Add the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, relish, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Stir all ingredients together.
- Cover bowl, and refrigerate 4 hours before serving, or preferably overnight.
- Store in an airtight container. Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days.
Save Money on Fresh Groceries & Pantry Staples!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell produce & pantry staples (even wine!) at a super discounted price. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! Give Misfits Market a look if you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!