A healthy and plant-based alternative to chicken salad! This Pantry Staple sandwich is packed with protein, and has quite a crunch from vibrant vegetables!
As a midwesterner I am genetically predisposed to love every kind of creamy salad. I love pasta salad, bean salads, egg salad (& VEGAN Tofu Egg Salad), macaroni salad, potato salad, etc. And I’ve made recipes for every one of those wow. Now that I host a lot of BBQs, potlucks, and brunches, those salad recipes are in my go-to recipe bank! This pantry staple chickpea salad sandwich is an absolutely delish lunch to make, and is super quick and easy.
Growing up I always used to love getting chicken salad from the deli! There was a little specialty grocery store named Kramer’s in the town I grew up in that made the BEST chicken salad and it was always such a treat getting it for lunch.
And this vegan version tastes every bit as good, but is much healthier and plant based instead of meat-based! Its super light from celery, red pepper, and pickles to the ingredient list. And the vegan mayo makes it creamy but not overly so. I love adding relish in this dish! It gives the chickpea salad a lil crunch, a lil sweetness, and some nice acidity from the vinegar.
This Smashed Chickpea Salad Is:
- Slightly sweet
- Pantry staple friendly
- Easy to Meal Prep or Make Ahead
- Vegan & Gluten free, naturally
This was an AWESOME office lunch – I made a chickpea salad sandwich every day for a week, and put some spinach on top. It was really simple but delicious. And this recipe is fast. With chopping and mixing, it came together in about 10-15 minutes.
Whats In This Chickpea Salad?
- Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans: call ’em what you like, these lil beans are a great pantry staple (I always keep dried and cooked on hand!) and offer some excellent plant protein.
- Vegan Mayo: Nowadays there are plenty of varieties of plant-based mayonnaise, so take your pick!
- Mustard: Use prepared yellow mustard or whole ground, whatever strikes your fancy.
- Relish: This is the secret ingredient for a little sweetness and acidity. Use any version you want, sweetened or unsweetened.
- Roasted Red Peppers: these guys come in cute little jars so I always have a few hanging out in my pantry. They are fairly inexpensive so I like to stock up and throw them in sandwiches or wraps for some color.
- Veggies: while these aren’t exactly pantry staple ingredients, you can totally skip these if you don’t have them on hand. Celery keeps for a long time, so I always have a bunch in the fridge – you can substitute an onion for the celery. And use dried parsley if you don’t have fresh.
This recipe makes enough chickpea salad for 5 sandwiches – just add 2 generous scoops to a slice of whole wheat bread, top with onion/tomato/lettuce, and lunch is ready. Or just eat on top of a salad, your choice!
Here are a Few Other Great Vegan Pantry Staple Recipes!
As always if you make this chickpea salad sandwich be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich (Pantry Staple, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Non Dairy)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared relish
- 1/4 cup chopped celery about 2 stalks
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Salt & Fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mash chickpeas with a fork. Add mayo, mustard, relish, red pepper, celery, dill, and onion powder. Mix thoroughly until combined.
- Taste and add salt/pepper if desired. Serve on a sandwich, lettuce wrap, or as a dip!