Classic macaroni salad gets a modern low calorie makeover with Greek yogurt and fresh vegetables! This BBQ approved side dish is great for a party. Can be made vegan or gluten-free! Great as a side dish for a BBQ or cookout, this easy crowd pleaser recipe is great to serve with burgers, veggie dogs, or brats on the grill!
This Classic Macaroni Salad Is:
- Packed with flavor
- Made with Greek Yogurt
- Mayo-free, no mayonnaise used at all!
- Can be gluten free or vegan!
The mid-westerner in me LOVES summer salads like these: macaroni salad, coleslaw, kidney bean salad, chickpea salad (and the list could go on and on), I love ‘em all. They remind me of summer BBQs on a humid day, the grill going in the background, and sitting in the sunshine with a cool drink.
Now that we have a wonderful homestead, we love to host summer BBQs and bring out a nice variety of food for guests. I love making easy, foolproof dishes like these.
They are called Classics for a reason, can be made ahead, and really compliment any main dish.
This Classic Macaroni Salad gets a bit of a modern twist from using Greek Yogurt in the dressing – it lightens the recipe and adds a nice creaminess without the fat.
I also love the crunch from all the veggies in the dish as well, the celery, carrots, and bell pepper are a must!
I love that this can be made ahead of time. When you are hosting (or getting ready to go to a BBQ) this dish can be easily brought out and enjoyed.
As always, if you make this macaroni salad with Greek yogurt be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Classic Macaroni Salad with Greek Yogurt (Vegan & Gluten Free Option)
- 1 16 ounce box elbow macaroni (used gluten-free if GF)
- 2 stalks celery diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 carrots diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 bell pepper diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 large pickle spears diced + 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt use non-dairy version for vegan
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Himalayan Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook to package directions. , Rinse with cold water, drain, and set aside until cooled.
- In a large bowl add the cooled macaroni and the rest of the ingredients to the bowl. Stir well to combine. Taste for flavor and add any additional spices, salt, or pepper as needed.
- Refrigerate overnight in an airtight container. Remove from fridge right before serving.