This is Vegan Curried Chickpeas recipe fits perfectly into the easy weeknight meal category! It requires very little cooking & prep, uses pantry staple ingredients, and is pure comfort in a bowl.
I absolutely love a big cozy bowl of curried chickpeas with coconut milk, cashews, and fresh chopped vegetables. This curried chickpea stew recipe is a fantastic easy weeknight meal, ready in no time.
We make a ton of different curries in the winter months – especially ones like this which are warm and have a good amount of spice. This vegan curried chickpeas stew is a bright & filling dinner recipe that is loaded with plant based protein, flavorful spices, and a creamy broth.
The coconut milk gives this curry a creamy texture, while the fresh lime juice packs a real punch! Garnishes are optional but 100% recommended – I love piles of fresh cilantro on anything, so its a good excuse to load up!
This Vegan Curried Chickpeas Stew Recipe is:
- Perfectly Spiced
- Slightly Sweet
- Dairy Free
- Easy to Meal Prep or Make Ahead!
What’s In This Vegan Curried Chickpeas?
- No Salt Added / Low Sodium Chickpeas: one of my favorite pantry staple ingredients! You can use canned chickpeas (I’d highly recommend a low sodium or no salt version), or you can make your own chickpeas from scratch in the Instant Pot.
- Diced Tomatoes: I only use no salt added diced tomatoes, these boxed tomatoes are really great to stock up on! I like boxed tomatoes better because they are BPA free and more eco-friendly than aluminum cans. If you haven’t read about the dangers of consuming foods stored in BPA cans, head over to Nutrition Facts to read more.
- Coconut Oil: I always keep a few jars of this organic coconut oil on hand, it’s great for cooking and baking. If you make your own beauty products, it also makes a fantastic skin moisturizer too!
- Red Onions
- Coconut Milk: I use unsweetened full-fat coconut milk, which I’d definitely recommend over lite coconut milk. The flavor makes this dish super rich and creamy without any dairy.
- Curry Powder: is a great flavor booster to soups, stews, and lentil dishes like this one! I love this mild curry powder which has a great taste. You can also use a curry paste if you have some on hand.
Meal Prep Chickpea Curry Any Time!
This recipe is great because it makes a lot of leftovers too, so we can have it a few times during the week, so it can definitely be a good Meal Prep option for a Sunday night. Plus its ready in about a half hour, so making this after work on a weeknight is an option! I also made a list of my favorite meal prep products on Amazon that I use weekly. They make cooking easy.
Make Curried Chickpeas Vegan for a Healthy Version
This vegan curried chickpeas stew is a simple way to get extra veggies in your diet. I’m all about making recipes plant-based when I can. Vegan cooking does NOT have to be bland, boring, or flavorless… It’s quite the opposite when done right. By building meals around vegan pantry staples and swapping in a few plant-based ingredients you can make healthier meals for you and your family. I made a list of my 125 favorite vegan pantry ingredients that we use on a weekly basis, and check out all my vegan recipes here that are on The Herbeevore. These easy and healthy recipes are fantastic meatless and dairy free meals for your table.
More Hearty Chickpea Recipes You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients for this Vegan Curried Chickpeas Soup
As always, if you make this vegan and dairy free curried chickpeas soup recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Vegan Curried Chickpeas Stew
For the Curry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Red Onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 14 ounce can No-Salt-Added Diced Tomatoes
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk full fat
- 2 14-ounce cans No-Salt-Added Chickpeas
- 2 cups No-Salt-Added Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 cup raw cashews whole or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Tellicherry Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- Slices of Lime
- Red Onion minced
- Raw Cashews
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, and salt and sauté for 6 minutes until soft.
- Add the curry powder and the red pepper flakes to the veggies, and stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cover and cook for 10 minutes until tomatoes become soft.
- Add the chickpeas and coconut milk, and bring the soup back up to a simmer. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in the cashews, cilantro, lime juice and chili flakes. Add extras to garnish.
Save Money on Organic Groceries!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market - they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive... think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!