This chickpea egg salad sandwich makes a fantastic and flavorful lunch or dinner! A hearty and plant-based alternative to egg salad. This simple sandwich is packed with flavor, and has quite a crunch from fresh celery & vibrant vegetables.
This vegan egg salad sandwich with chickpeas is a fantastic lunch – and easy to meal prep or make ahead. Serve with chips, crispy oven baked fries, or a simple vinegar & oil coleslaw for a fantastic meal.
This creamy chickpea egg salad is a fantastic plant-based filling lunch or dinner! I absolutely love smashed chickpea salad, and wanted to give this recipe an update by using classic egg salad veggies (celery & red pepper) for a bright and fresh crunch. It gives this sandwich an extra pop of flavor.
I used to love egg salad sandwiches, so making a delicious vegan version with chickpeas is a great substitute. It’s hearty from the chickpeas and vegetables, and flavorful from a rich and creamy dressing.
This Chickpea Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe Is:
- Sweet & Savory
- Loaded with Vegetables
- A Great Make Ahead Lunch or Dinner
- Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free!
Make Egg Salad Vegan for a Plant-Based Version
This vegan egg salad with chickpeas is a simple way to get extra veggies in your diet. I’m all about making recipes plant-based when I can. Vegan cooking does NOT have to be bland, boring, or flavorless… It’s quite the opposite when done right.
By building meals around vegan pantry staples and swapping in a few plant-based ingredients you can make better meals for you and your family. I made a list of my 125 favorite vegan pantry ingredients that we use on a weekly basis, and check out all my vegan recipes here that are on The Herbeevore. These easy and tasty recipes are fantastic meatless and dairy free meals for your table.
What’s In This Plant Based Egg Salad Sandwich?
I cook with fresh produce from my garden and from Misfits Market– they sell fantastic fruit, vegetables, & pantry staples at a discounted price. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out favorite produce for delivery. Get $10 off your first box here!
- Bell Pepper, Celery, & Any Sandwich Toppings (Lettuce, Tomato, Microgreens, etc.)
- No Salt Added Chickpeas: one of my favorite pantry staple ingredients! You can use canned chickpeas (I’d highly recommend a low sodium or no salt version), or you can make your own chickpeas from scratch in the Instant Pot.
- Vegan Mayonnaise: I like to use this dairy free mayo to keep this recipe plant-based, but you can use whatever mayo that you would normally use in recipes. If you don’t normally like mayo, try my dairy free recipe... it’s creamy but still plant based.
- Whole Grain or Dijon Mustard – for a really nice flavor and texture, you can use either whole grain mustard, stone ground, or Dijon I’d stay clear from yellow prepared mustard for this recipe.
- Sweet Relish – to give this dish a little extra sweetness. I love this classic sweet relish which has a nice crunch and a sweet and tangy flavor. It’s great in this salad (like a secret ingredient!) and also great to have on the table for burgers or veggie dogs.
- Sandwich Bread, if eating this chickpea salad as a sandwich. Make sure to use a certified gluten free bread if you cannot eat wheat.
Meal Prep Garbanzo Bean Egg Salad For the Win!
This egg salad with garbanzo beans is the perfect recipe for homemade meal prep. I am a huge fan of meal prepping, batch cooking, and making recipes ahead. I love the convenience of cooking once and being able to enjoy homemade meals during the week when I don’t have time.
There’s a whole section of TheHerbeevore.com dedicated to my favorite tried & true meal prep recipes. With just a little planning and prep, you can have a week’s worth of recipes ready in the time it would take to make one portion. Just batch cook, divide into individual containers, and place in the fridge or freezer for later! I also made a list of my favorite meal prep products on Amazon that I use weekly. They make cooking easy.
This recipe makes enough chickpea salad for about 4 sandwiches – just add 2 generous scoops to a slice of your favorite bread, top with sprouts/tomato/lettuce, and lunch is ready. Or just eat on top of a salad, your choice!
More Vegan Pantry Recipes You’ll Love!
Share this Garbanzo Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe!
If you make this easy chickpea egg salad recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipes!
Let’s keep in touch – subscribe to my monthly newsletter to get free recipe inspiration.
Chickpea Egg Salad
For the Chickpea Salad
For the Sandwiches
- 8 slices bread use gluten free if desired
- 1 head leaf lettuce chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, pickles, or other toppings
- In a large bowl, mash chickpeas with a fork. Add bell pepper, mayo, mustard, relish, celery, dill, and onion powder. Mix thoroughly until combined.
- Taste and add salt/pepper if desired.
- To assemble sandwich, place a few leaves of lettuce on a slice of bread. Top the lettuce with 2 generous scoops of chickpea salad. Add more lettuce, and top with the final piece of bread or any toppings you desire. Enjoy!
Save Money on Organic Produce!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!