This garlic white wine pasta sauce recipe is bright, flavorful, and absolutely divine! Made with pantry staple ingredients for a simple pasta anytime.
This simple sauce is made by sautéing garlic and onions in butter and olive oil, then adding some white wine and a simple roux. It can easily be made gluten free and vegan too – so its perfect for anyone at your table.
This creamy white wine pasta sauce is a quick and simple addition to your pasta night! It comes together in about 15 minutes, which make this a great easy weeknight meal. It’s light and garlicky, and is amazing tossed with your favorite pasta and a hearty sprinkle of freshly gated parmesan cheese.
This pasta is definitely on our repeat list – adding a little white wine makes this sauce rich and flavorful, with a sweet kick.
This White Wine Pasta Sauce Recipe Is:
- Loaded with Flavor
- Vegetarian, and can easily be made vegan and gluten free
What’s In This Garlic White Wine Pasta Sauce?
I cook with fresh produce from my garden and from Misfits Market– they sell fantastic fruit, vegetables, & pantry staples at a discounted price. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out seasonal produce for delivery. Get $10 off your first box by clicking here!
- Olive Oil: to sauté the garlic and give this pasta a creamy base. I like using this olive oil which has a great flavor and is a super value if you get online . You can also use butter in place of the oil.
- Garlic: a must in any pasta recipe (in my opinion) so I loaded it up for this sauce. I usually use fresh, but I really like this organic jarred chopped garlic which is great to save on prep time!
- White Wine: you can use any kind of wine for this recipe, I used a pinot grigio because that’s my favorite. The chef gets a glass while cooking, its the rule in this house.
- Flour: I used all purpose, but you can use a gluten free alternative! Corn starch is a great GF substitution, and will thicken the sauce well.
- Parmesan Cheese or Nutritional Yeast: or an alternative to stir into the sauce. I really like using nutritional yeast as it gives the dish a really nice nutty cheesy flavor and is dairy free.
- Fresh Parsley: which gives this sauce a bright fresh flavor!
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt: I like to use a pink Himalayan Sea Salt in my kitchen, which has more natural minerals than plain processed table salt. It’s fairly inexpensive, so I’d recommend this salt if you’re looking for an easy way to level up your spice pantry.
- Tellicherry Black Pepper: Like the salt, it’s amazing the flavor difference you can get with really good tellicherry black pepper. This pepper is the same price is buying pre-ground, and has a million times more flavor! I use these really great tellicherry peppercorns, which I would definitely recommend.
You can serve it with any kind of pasta you have on hand. I used a long twirlable fettuccini, but it would be great with spaghetti, shells, rotini, or bucatini… the possibilities are endless. The white wine sauce recipe below makes enough for 1 lb of pasta. This recipe is super friendly to our gluten-free friends, so use any long gluten free pasta you wish.
How Do I Make White Wine Pasta Sauce?
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil and butter over low heat. Add the onions and garlic and gently sauté for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the flour and stir into the veggie mixture with a wooden spoon. Then, pour in the white wine and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and gently simmer for 3 or 4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the salt, parmesan, and parsley, and stir until cheese begins to melt.
- Serve with pasta of choice, sauce makes enough for about 1 lb of pasta.
Add White Wine to Pasta for Fantastic Flavor
I love recipes with wine… a little for the dish, and a little for the chef 🙂 Make sure to use any good wine that you would drink in this recipe. A chardonnay or pinot grigio would be excellent (I used pinot grigio).
That way you can have a good quality wine in the sauce, and have a glass for yourself while cooking.
- This recipe is vegetarian, but to make vegan or dairy free, use a plant-based milk (coconut milk would be best) and parmesan cheese alternative, like nutritional yeast.
- To make gluten free, substitute the all purpose flour for a GF alternative, or for corn starch. This will help thicken the sauce. And make sure to use a gluten free pasta as well, this spaghetti is perfect!
Simple Pasta Recipes with White Wine
This white wine creamy pasta is the tastiest, freshest dinner recipe. It’s perfect for a hearty meal for the family, and also great to make for company if you are having guests for dinner.
It makes a great holiday pasta dish as well – a simple vegetarian recipe to serve with a salad. Pasta is a fast and inexpensive meal. It takes only 20 minutes to cook, so you can enjoy extra time to prep sides or a salad. Browse all our pasta recipes here!
More Simple Pasta Sauce Recipes You’ll Love!
Share This White Wine Garlic Pasta Sauce
If you make this easy white wine garlic pasta sauce recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipes!
Let’s keep in touch – subscribe to my monthly newsletter to get free recipe inspiration.
White Wine Pasta Sauce with Garlic & Herbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter use plant-based for vegan version
- 1 sweet onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour or corn starch if gluten free
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese or alternative like nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Tellicherry Black Pepper
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil and butter over low heat. Add the onions and garlic and gently sauté for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the flour and stir into the veggie mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Add the white wine, and stir. Bring to a simmer and gently simmer for 3 or 4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat and add the salt, parmesan, parsley, and ground tellicherry pepper. Stir until the parmesan has melted into the sauce.
- Garnish with extra parmesan, parsley, or black pepper. Serve with pasta of choice, sauce makes enough for about 1 lb of pasta.
Save Money on Groceries, Pantry Staples, and Cleaning Supplies!I love shopping for healthy groceries and pantry staples through Thrive Market - they sell non-toxic cleaning supplies, natural beauty products, and pantry staple groceries (even wine!) at a super discounted price. We get Thrive Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal staples for delivery. Join Thrive Market & get 30% off your purchase & a $60 free gift!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!