This garlic white wine pasta sauce is bright, flavorful, and absolutely divine! Made with pantry staple ingredients for a simple pasta anytime. Can easily be made gluten free and vegan too – so its perfect for anyone at your table.
This White Wine Pasta Sauce Recipe Is:
- Loaded with Flavor
- Vegetarian, and can easily be made vegan and gluten free
This creamy white wine pasta sauce is a quick and simple addition to your pasta night! It comes together in about 15 minutes, which make this a great easy weeknight meal. I have a whole section of my blog dedicated to simple and healthy meals that can be on the table in about 30 minutes or less, check them out here! This pasta is definitely on our repeat list!
What’s In This Garlic White Wine Pasta Sauce?
- Olive Oil: to saute the garlic and give this pasta a creamy base. I like using this olive oil which has a great flavor and is a super value if you get online – much cheaper than buying at the store. You can also use butter in place of the oil.
- Garlic: a must in any pasta recipe (in my opinion) so I loaded it up for this sauce. I usually use fresh, but I really like this organic jarred chopped garlic which is great to save on prep time!
- White Wine: you can use any kind of wine for this recipe, I used a pinot grigio because that’s my favorite. The chef gets a glass while cooking, its the rule in this house.
- Milk of choice! A nice fatty milk works best for this like a whole milk, half and half, coconut milk, or cashew cream are all awesome choices! I like this canned coconut milk, which gives the pasta a deep creamy flavor and just a hunt of sweetness.
- Flour: I used all purpose, but you can use a gluten free alternative! Corn starch is a great GF substitution, and will thicken the sauce well.
- Parmesan Cheese or Nutritional Yeast: or an alternative to stir into the sauce. I really like using nutritional yeast as it gives the dish a really nice nutty cheesey flavor and is dairy free.
- Fresh Parsley: which gives this sauce a bright fresh flavor!
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt: I like to use a pink Himalayan Sea Salt in my kitchen, which has more natural minerals than plain processed table salt. It’s fairly inexpensive, so I’d recommend this salt if you’re looking for an easy way to level up your spice pantry.
- Tellicherry Black Pepper: Like the salt, it’s amazing the flavor difference you can get with really good tellicherry black pepper. This pepper is the same price is buying pre-ground, and has a million times more flavor! I use these really great tellicherry peppercorns, which I would definitely recommend.
You can serve it with any kind of pasta you have on hand. I used a long twirlable fettuccini, but it would be great with spaghetti, shells, rotini, or buccatini… the possibilities are endless. The white wine sauce recipe below makes enough for 1 lb of pasta. This recipe is super friendly to our gluten-free friends, so use any long gluten free pasta you wish.
How Do I Make White Wine Pasta Sauce?
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onions and garlic and gently saute for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the flour and stir into the veggie mixture with a wooden spoon. Then, pour in the white wine and milk, and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and gently simmer for 3 or 4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the salt, parmesan, and parsley, and stir until cheese begins to melt.
- Serve with pasta of choice, sauce makes enough for about 1 lb of pasta.
Add White Wine to Pasta for Fantastic Flavor
I love recipes with wine… a little for the dish, and a little for the chef 🙂 Make sure to use any good wine that you would drink in this recipe. A chardonnay or pinot grigio would be excellent (I used pinot grigio). That way you can have a good quality wine in the sauce, and have a glass for yourself while cooking.
- This recipe is vegetarian, but to make vegan or dairy free, use a plant-based milk (coconut milk would be best) and parmesan cheese alternative, like nutritional yeast.
- To make gluten free, substitute the all purpose flour for a GF alternative, or for corn starch. This will help thicken the sauce. And make sure to use a gluten free pasta as well, this spaghetti is perfect!
Other Healthy Pasta Sauce Recipes You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients I Used For My White Wine Garlic Pasta Sauce:
I got the fresh produce for this recipe from my Misfits Market box – they sell all organic produce at a very discounted price, and purchase right from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love the seasonal variety. You can get $10 off your first box by clicking here!
As always, if you make this garlic and white wine pasta sauce recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
And let’s stay in touch – make sure to sign up for my newsletter to get healthy recipes delivered fresh to your inbox! And don’t forget to follow over on Pinterest, Instagram , & Twitter– I’d love to connect with you there!
White Wine Pasta Sauce with Garlic & Herbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour or corn starch if gluten free
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup milk of choice use dairy free milk for vegan
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese or alternative like nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onions and garlic and gently saute for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the flour and stir into the veggie mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Add the white wine and milk, and stir. Bring to a simmer and gently simmer for 3 or 4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the salt, parmesan, and parsley, and stir until cheese begins to melt. Serve with pasta of choice, sauce makes enough for about 1 lb of pasta.