This raw honey mustard coleslaw is the perfect picnic side, pot luck dish, or salad for your summer BBQ. Its a little savory, a little sweet, and loaded with fresh vegetables for a bright crunch.
As a beekeeper, I know honey! I love adding raw honey to all kinds of sweet and savory dishes. This honey mustard coleslaw is tangy and delicious, and the bright honey mustard dressing gives an incredible flavor to the dish!
This Honey Mustard Coleslaw Recipe Is:
- Loaded with fresh vegetables and nuts
- Vegetarian and gluten free, and very easy to make vegan.
Fresh coleslaw is so yummy served with anything coming off the grill. Its awesome with veggie burgers, hot dogs, fresh grilled corn, or any salad. This honey mustard salad is actually loaded with tons of vegetables in it, so it has a nice refreshing crunch in eat bite.
Whats In This Honey Mustard Coleslaw Recipe?
- Green Cabbage: for a bright fresh crunch!
- Red Cabbage: for a pop of extra color
- Carrots: for sweetness and crunch
- Walnuts: because YUM. I stocked up a few bags of these Amazon-brand walnuts which are super cheap and a great value for the quality.
- Greek Yogurt: I use this in the dressing instead of mayonnaise which is traditional. It lightens up the coleslaw a bit and gives it a delicious flavor (not to mention extra protein!). You can use regular, homemade, or a vegan version for plant-based.
- Yellow Mustard: I used the classic prepared yellow mustard for a vinegar-y kick
- Whole Grain Mustard – for a really nice flavor and texture, you can use either whole grain mustard, stone ground, or dijon… I’d stay clear from yellow prepared mustard for this recipe.
- Apple Cider Vinegar, which may surprise you but it gives the cookies a little extra tang which is really fantastic! I love using this organic apple cider vinegar with the mother which has a great flavor.
- Raw Honey: raw honey for a bit of sweetness. Maple syrup would also be a delicious substitute for a vegan option!
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt: I like to use a pink Himalayan Sea Salt in my kitchen, which has more natural minerals than plain processed table salt. It’s fairly inexpensive, so I’d recommend this salt if you’re looking for an easy way to level up your spice pantry.
- Tellicherry Black Pepper: Like the salt, it’s amazing the flavor difference you can get with really good tellicherry black pepper. This pepper is the same price is buying pre-ground, and has a million times more flavor! I use these really great tellicherry peppercorns, which I would definitely recommend.
Naturally Sweet Coleslaw – No Sugar Added!
I used raw honey in this recipe instead of traditional sugar. We have tons of raw honey straight from our beehives. It’s one of the benefits to beekeeping! We keep a few jars of honey each year for ourselves, but mostly give away what we ave to our friends and family. Last year we were able to harvest 3 times during the summer and fall, and I sold a lot of my honey at work too. Its my favorite natural sweetener for sure!
Should I Eat Raw Honey?
Raw honey is just honey that has not been pasteurized! We take our honey straight from the hive, and don’t process or subject it to high heat. Pasteurizing can kill bad (and beneficial) macrobiotics in the honey. You can use normal store-bought honey for this recipe… it doesn’t have to be raw. That is just the way we like to keep our honey. Babies under the age of 1 should not be given honey, and pregnant women should avoid unpasteurized foods. Eat responsibly!
The best place to find raw honey is straight from your local beekeeper! Check out a farmer’s market or farm stand near you – or reach out to your county or state beekeeping association to connect with beekeeper’s near by. Support local bees, local keepers, and enjoy the sweet benefits.
Other Summer Salads We Love!
Get the Same Ingredients I Use In My Coleslaw with Honey Mustard Dressing Recipe:
As always, if you make this honey mustard coleslaw salad recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Honey Mustard Coleslaw (Gluten Free, Vegetarian)
For the Salad
- 3 cups red cabbage finely shredded
- 3 cups green cabbage finely shredded
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded red cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, and walnuts. Toss to combine.
For the Honey Mustard Dressing
- In a mason jar, add all ingredients together, seal with an airtight lid, and shake well to combine. Pour dressing over the coleslaw and stir well to combine all ingredients. Enjoy!
Save Money on Organic Produce!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market - they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive... think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!