Since having leftovers are arguably the best part of cooking a big Thanksgiving meal, its crucial to have some great recipes on hand to transform that turkey into something fantastic!
This leftover thanksgiving casserole uses turkey with fresh vegetables and egg noodles in a creamy sauce, ready in under an hour!
I always loved turkey tetrazzini when I was little, and this grown up version is super hearty and packed with veggies too. The veggies are really a must as the rest of the dish can be a little heavy.
It can also be made ahead too – just combine all the ingredients in a pan, and omit the baking step. Cover and refrigerate the night before, and pop it in the oven the next day.
Comfort food at its best!
Turkey Tetrazzini from Thanksgiving Leftovers (Gluten Free, Comfort Food)
- 1 12 ounce package of wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms rinsed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning mix thyme, oregano, garlic, parsley
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups baby spinach packed
- 2 cups turkey meat chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs Gluten Free
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Ferenheit.
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil and cook the egg noodles al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot (I used the same pot), heat the olive oil on low until shimmering. Add the onions and garlic, and sauce for 5 minutes until soft. Add the celery and mushrooms and sauce for another 8 minutes on low heat. Add the frozen peas, spinach, Italian seasoning and stir. Turn off heat.
- In a sauce pan, heat the vegetable stock and half and half on low heat, until just simmering. Add the cream cheese and stir until all ingredients have melted together.
- To the pot with the veggies- add the egg noodles, cream cheese/half and half mixture, and the chopped turkey. Add the parsley, black pepper, 1.5 cups of mozzarella, and stir to combine. Add ingredients to a greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Top with remaining half cup of mozzarella and breadcrumbs.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes. Remove cover, and cook for an additional 15 minutes until top begins to brown and the casserole is bubbly.