Red Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk is a creamy comforting recipe loaded with vegetables, curry, and spices. It’s savory, cozy, and just a little bit spicy for a touch of heat.
This soup is plant-based and high in fiber, making it a great choice for lunch or a light dinner. Serve this delicious lentil coconut soup with homemade garlic naan bread, easy quinoa tabbouleh, or your favorite side salad.
If you’re looking for a decadent comforting lunch or dinner recipe, this red lentil soup with coconut milk is here for you. This soup is a little spicy, a little sweet, and loaded with good-for-you ingredients. With red lentils, tomatoes, herbs, and spices – this is one great recipe for an easy meal prep lunch or dinner.
Every weekend I make two big pots of soup: one for my lunches for the week, and one for my husband’s. We normally enjoy different things, but this soup is SO flavorful and good I make a double batch for the both of us. It’s easy to make a big batch, and portion into individual containers or mason jars for lunch.
This Red Lentil Coconut Milk Recipe Is
- Loaded with Flavor
- Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, High in Fiber & Plant Protein!
One of the BEST Pantry Lentil Soup Recipes
This coconut milk red lentil curry soup recipe is a fantastic pantry-staple meal! It uses almost all ingredients you would have in your dry pantry or cupboards. You probably already have a lot of these ingredients on hand! Keeping a well-stocked pantry makes it easy to come up with delicious and tasty meals using a few staples you can rotate.
I made a list of my Top 125 Plant-Based Pantry Staples that always keep on hand. And you can check out all my favorite pantry staple recipes on TheHerbeevore.com here. By stocking up on whole ingredients you can cook delicious recipes without a trip to the store!
What’s In This Golden Lentil Curry Soup Recipe?
I cook with fresh produce from my garden and from Misfits Market– they sell fantastic fruit, vegetables, & pantry staples at a discounted price. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out favorite produce for delivery. Get $10 off your first box here!
- Onion, Garlic, Carrots, Parsley, Ginger Root
- Coconut Oil: I always keep a few jars of this organic coconut oil on hand, it’s great for cooking and baking.
- Red Lentils: one of my favorite legumes to stock up on! I always keep a few pounds of these on hand, they are great to throw into soups like this as they dissolve and have a fantastic texture.
- Curry Powder: is a great flavor booster to soups, stews, and lentil dishes like this one! I love this mild curry powder which has a great taste. You can also use a curry paste if you have some on hand.
- Diced Tomatoes: I only use no salt added diced tomatoes, these boxed tomatoes are really great to stock up on! I like boxed tomatoes better because they are BPA free and more eco-friendly than aluminum cans. If you haven’t read about the dangers of consuming foods stored in BPA cans, head over to Nutrition Facts to read more.
- Coconut Milk: I use unsweetened full-fat coconut milk, which I’d definitely recommend over lite coconut milk. The flavor makes this dish super rich and creamy without any dairy.
- Red Chili Pepper Flakes: for a little heat! I like to add a few shakes to this recipe to give this dish a nice complex depth of flavor.
Make Golden Red Lentil Curry Soup Vegan for a Plant-Based Version
This vegan golden red lentil curry is a simple way to get extra veggies in your diet. I’m all about making recipes plant-based when I can. Vegan cooking does NOT have to be bland, boring, or flavorless… It’s quite the opposite when done right. By building meals around vegan pantry staples and swapping in a few plant-based ingredients you can make better meals for you and your family.
This recipe is naturally vegan and vegetarian, since it uses plant-based ingredients and vegetable stock. If you don’t care about making it vegan or vegetarian, you can choose to use a chicken stock instead.
How Do I Make Creamy Red Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk?
In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
Add the carrots, ginger, lentils, curry powder, tomatoes, parsley, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
Cover and simmer the lentils for 20 to 25 minutes until the water has absorbed and the lentils are tender.
Remove lid and stir in the coconut milk. Top with fresh chili flakes and salt and pepper if desired. Serve with lime juice if desired.
More Vegan High Fiber Soup Recipes You’ll Love!
Share this Coconut Red Lentil Curry Soup
As always, if you make this easy red lentil coconut soup recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipes!
Let’s keep in touch – make sure to subscribe to my monthly newsletter to get free recipe inspiration.
Red Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger root grated
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can No-Salt-Added Diced Tomatoes
- 1 bunch parsley chopped, both leaves and stems
- 6 cups No-Salt-Added Vegetable Stock
- 1 13.5 ounce can Coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Himalayan Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the carrots, ginger, lentils, curry powder, tomatoes, parsley, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer the lentils for 20 to 25 minutes until the water has absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- Remove lid and stir in the coconut milk. Top with fresh chili flakes and salt and pepper if desired. Serve with lime juice if desired.
Save Money on Fresh Groceries & Pantry Staples!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell organic produce at a discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from farmers to reduce food waste. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce. Save up to 40% off grocery store prices. If you think produce delivery is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a try!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!