This Chimichurri Rice recipe is bright, fresh, herby, and ready for your next taco night or burrito bowl! This recipe is cooked in your rice cooker or steamer, and makes perfectly zesty rice in about 30 minutes.
Serve chimichurri rice recipe with avocado black bean salad, black refried beans, or BBQ chickpea tacos. And, while it’s cooking, you have enough time to make a fresh mango margarita so treat yourself!
Chimichurri sauce has always been a favorite of mine, and I wanted to make a simple and tasty recipe by highlighting it as a side dish with rice. Chimichurri is a traditional Argentinian sauce made with fresh herbs (cilantro or parsley), garlic, vinegar, and chili flakes. And honestly, it’s great on just about anything – including rice!
I love adding delicious and flavorful rice to my burrito bowls, or serving it up with some refried beans for Taco Tuesday. What I love about this recipe is that everything comes together in about 30 minutes. you can have a super flavorful and simple side dish for your next fiesta!
This Chimichurri Rice Is:
- Loaded with Flavor
- Vegan, Vegetarian, & Gluten Free
What’s In This Herby Chimichurri Rice Recipe?
Cilantro, Garlic, Limes – I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here!
If you think organic produce is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
- Jasmine Rice – I like to use this fantastic jasmine rice, which has a little extra flavor than normal white rice. The long grains are perfect for this too!
- Lime Juice: If you don’t have fresh limes, this bottled lime juice is a pretty fantastic substitute. I always keep some in the pantry – it’s great for sauces, dips, or even for cocktails!
- Garlic Salt: for a little extra flavor than traditional salt. I like to use this garlic salt in my savory Italian dishes for that extra kick.
- Red Chili Pepper Flakes: for a little heat! I like to add a few shakes to this recipe to give this dish a nice complex depth of flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: I like to use this fruity olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s inexpensive & I like to keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value.
What’s The Best Rice Cooker to Buy?
We have this fantastic Hamilton Beach rice cooker that is super inexpensive and has lasted us years and years, I’ve been very happy with it! It gets weekly use, and is great for cooking rice, lentils, and quinoa in the rice cooker. But I’d love to upgrade to this Zojirushi model eventually, it’s THE Cadillac of rice cookers. Our extended family has it, and it is one fantastic appliance. And it has a great feature which keeps the rice warm on the counter, so you can enjoy it all day.
One Pot Rice Recipes For the Win!
This steamed rice with chimichurri recipe is the perfect one-pot lunch or dinner! I love a good One Pot Meal, especially during these summer months when I don’t want a lot of burners going at once. Cooking everything in one pot is one of my favorite ways to get a meal on the table fast! And one pot makes cleaning up a breeze. The rice cooker does all the work for you, so you can focus on other kitchen prep while the food cooks. One Pot meals are awesome for breakfast, lunch, or dinner – check out my link here to see other healthy one pot meals that are ready in no time!
How To Make Chimichurri Rice
- Rinse the rice under cold water, until the water runs clear. Add the rice to the pot, along with half the lime juice, the garlic powder, and the water.
- Set rice cooker to ‘White Rice’ or ‘Steam’ or whatever mode you would use for white rice (may vary by model, mine says ‘White Rice’ and usually takes about 30-40 minutes).
- Once the rice has finished cooking, fluff with a fork. Add the remainder of the lime juice and the chopped cilantro, and stir well with a rice paddle to combine.
- Serve with beans, in a burrito or burrito bowl, or with tacos – enjoy!
More Easy Rice Cooker Recipes You’ll Love!
Lentils in the Rice Cooker Recipe (Vegan, Gluten Free, Low Sodium)
Rice Cooker Oatmeal Recipe (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
Parsley Tabbouleh with Quinoa Recipe (Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan)
Rice Cooker Quinoa Recipe (Easy Rice Cooker Hack!)
Rice Cooker Yellow Rice Recipe (Vegan, Gluten Free)
Get the Same Ingredients for this Rice Steamer Chimichurri Rice Recipe!
As always, if you make this vegan and gluten free chimichurri rice recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch – make sure to sign up for my newsletter to get healthy recipe inspiration. And don’t forget to follow over on Pinterest, Instagram , & YouTube– I’d love to connect with you there!
- Rice Cooker
- 2 cups jasmine rice uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 bunch cilantro stems removed
- 1 bunch parsley stems removed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Himalayan Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Rinse the rice under cold water, until the water runs clear. Add the rice to the pot, along with the lime juice, the garlic powder, and the water.
- Set rice cooker to 'White Rice' or 'Steam' or which ever mode you would use for white rice (may vary by model, mine says 'White Rice' and usually takes about 30-40 minutes).
- While the rice is cooking, add all the remaining chimichurri ingredients to a food processor. Pulse or blend until leaves have been chopped and the garlic has blended into a nice sauce. Set aside.
- Once the rice has finished cooking, fluff with a fork. Pour in the chimichurri sauce, and stir well with a rice paddle to combine.
- Serve with beans, in a burrito or burrito bowl, or with tacos - enjoy!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram and I'll feature you in my stories!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!
A great addition to many of my meals