This garlic & white wine pasta sauce is bright, flavorful, and absolutely divine! Made with pantry staple ingredients for a simple pasta anytime. Can easily be made gluten free and vegan too – so its perfect for anyone at your table.
This White Wine Sauce Recipe Is:
- Loaded with Flavor
- Vegetarian, and can easily be made vegan and gluten free
This creamy white wine pasta sauce is a quick and simple addition to your pasta night! It comes together in about 15 minutes, which make this a great easy weeknight meal. I have a whole section of my blog dedicated to simple and healthy meals that can be on the table in about 30 minutes or less, check them out here! This pasta is definitely on our repeat list!
What’s In This Garlic White Wine Pasta Sauce?
- Olive Oil: to saute the garlic and give this pasta a creamy base. You can also use butter.
- Garlic: a must in any pasta recipe (in my opinion) so I loaded it up for this sauce.
- White Wine: you can use any kind of wine for this recipe, I used a pinot grigio because that’s my favorite.
- Milk: of choice! I nice fatty milk works best for this like a whole milk, half and half, coconut milk, or cashew cream are all awesome choices!
- Flour: I used all purpose, but you can use a gluten free alternative! Corn starch is a great GF substitution, and will thicken the sauce well.
- Parmesan Cheese: or an alternative to stir into the sauce.
- Fresh Parsley: which gives this sauce a bright fresh flavor!
You can serve it with any kind of pasta you have on hand. I used a long twirlable fettuccini, but it would be great with spaghetti, shells, rotini, or buccatini… the possibilities are endless. The white wine sauce recipe below makes enough for 1 lb of pasta.
How Do I Make White Wine Sauce?
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onions and garlic and gently saute for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the flour and stir into the veggie mixture with a wooden spoon. Then, pour in the white wine and milk, and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and gently simmer for 3 or 4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the salt, parmesan, and parsley, and stir until cheese begins to melt.
- Serve with pasta of choice, sauce makes enough for about 1 lb of pasta.
I love recipes with wine… a little for the dish, and a little for the chef 🙂 Make sure to use any good wine that you would drink in this recipe. A chardonnay or pinot grigio would be excellent (I used pinot g). That way you can have a good quality wine in the sauce, and have a glass for yourself while cooking.
- This recipe is vegetarian
- To make gluten free, substitute the all purpose flour for a GF alternative, or for corn starch. This will help thicken the sauce.
- To make vegan, use a plant-based milk and parmesan cheese alternative.
Other Healthy Pasta Sauce Recipes You’ll Love!
As always, if you make this garlic and white wine pasta sauce recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
White Wine Pasta Sauce with Garlic & Herbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour or corn starch if gluten free
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese or alternative
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onions and garlic and gently saute for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the flour and stir into the veggie mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Add the white wine and milk, and stir. Bring to a simmer and gently simmer for 3 or 4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the salt, parmesan, and parsley, and stir until cheese begins to melt. Serve with pasta of choice, sauce makes enough for about 1 lb of pasta.