This vegan whole wheat sandwich bread recipe has 5 simple ingredients and bakes quick. Prep this bread for dinner or to make sliced sandwich bread for lunches. Simple, egg free, and dairy free!
Great for sandwiches, grilled cheese, or weekend toast. It’s a perfect loaf for breakfast or brunch, an amazing way to impress your brunch guests, friends, and family!
This whole wheat sliced bread is the best thing since… itself! It’s probably no surprise, but I am a huge fan of homemade breads, and I wanted to make a nutritious sandwich bread version. I normally bake with my sourdough starter, but decided to make a whole wheat loaf for a healthier slice. I needed a faster last-minute bread for dinner one night, and this simple quick whole wheat bread recipe was born. It only has a handful of ingredients (probably ones you already have in your pantry!) and this simple bread is ready in less than 2 hours.
This Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread Recipe Is:
- Made with pantry staple ingredients
- Ready in under 2 hours
- Vegan, vegetarian, egg free, and dairy free!
A Pantry Vegan Sandwich Bread Recipe!
This vegan whole wheat sandwich bread recipe is a fantastic pantry-staple meal! It uses almost all ingredients you would have in your dry pantry or cupboards. You probably already have a lot of these ingredients on hand! Keeping a well-stocked pantry makes it easy to come up with delicious meals using a few staples you can rotate. I made a list of my Top 125 Plant-Based Pantry Staples that always keep on hand. And you can check out all my favorite pantry staple recipes on TheHerbeevore.com here. By stocking up on whole ingredients you can cook delicious recipes without a trip to the store!
What’s In This Vegan Sandwich Bread Recipe?
- Warm Water: Use bottled or tap, whichever you would drink. I’m not counting water as one of my 5 ingredients 🙂 this one gets a free pass!
- Salt: For breads I like a fine ground sea salt which mixes into the dough evenly.
- Sugar: I used a granulated white sugar, but you can use a natural sweetener to keep it refined sugar free.
- Instant Yeast: I recently tried out this instant yeast on a whim (normally I buy active dry) and I absolutely love it! Instant yeast is great for both overnight breads and this easy quick whole wheat sliced bread recipe too!
- Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour: I used a combination of this amazing organic sprouted whole wheat flour and all purpose to make this loaf light and fluffy. You can use all whole wheat flour, but the texture will be denser and it won’t rise as much – that’s why I found the combination of the two flours does the trick perfectly!
- All Purpose Flour: We are fans of this flour here, and I keep my pantry stocked up with this. I made my quick bread loaves with this flour.
What Baking Equipment Do I Need?
- I use this extra large silicon baking mat to roll all my dough on. It’s super simple to use and easy to clean up (and doesn’t get flour all over your counters, highly recommended). There are a lot of baking mats, but this one is the largest I could find (2 x 3 feet!) and keeps the counters mess free… I absolutely love it!
- I love these glass Anchor batter bowls, I store all my dough and my sourdough starter in these and love using them for mixing.
- For this whole wheat bread recipe, I find these 2 glass Anchor loaf pans do the trick! I prefer glass to aluminum, and have gotten great results with these pans.
- I’ve also compiled a list of my favorite baking equipment here on Amazon!
An Easy Whole Wheat Bread Recipe for Entertaining!
This whole wheat sliced bread recipe is a fantastic and simple recipe to make ahead. Great for a busy weeknight, for entertaining, or just for those nights when you don’t feel like cooking. I like to prep one (or a few) loaves ahead of time, and slice and freeze some for later. Having ready cooked meals in the fridge or freezer is a great way to enjoy home cooked meals when you don’t have time in the kitchen. Freezing ingredients is also a great way to use up food that may be expiring soon. Check out all my make ahead meals on The Herbeevore for some inso to help you prep, keep, heat, and heat!
How Do I Bake Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread?
- In a large mixing bowl, add the warm water, salt, sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes until yeast starts to bubble. With a wooden spoon, mix in the flour one cup at a time starting with the whole wheat flour.
- Knead by hand for 5 minutes or so, until dough is soft and springy. Allow dough to rest for at least 1 hour, but up to 2 in a warm location. If its cold, I like to preheat my oven for a minute, turn it off, and let the dough sit in the warm oven to rise.
- Preaheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once dough has risen and doubled in size, knead it back down and form into 2 loaves. Divide dough evenly and place them in greased loaf pans for 10-15 minutes while oven heats.
- Once oven reaches temperature, place load pans into oven and bake bread for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes on a baking sheet before slicing… mangia!
Other Simple and Easy Bread Recipes You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients I Use For My Fast Baked Yeast Bread Recipe:
As always, if you make this easy whole wheat sliced bread recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s stay in touch – make sure to sign up for my newsletter to get free recipes delivered fresh to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow over on Pinterest, Instagram , & Twitter– I’d love to connect with you there!
Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread (Vegan)
- 2 Loaf Pans
- Silicon Baking Mat
- In a large mixing bowl, add the warm water, salt, sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes until yeast starts to bubble. With a wooden spoon, mix in the flour one cup at a time, starting with the whole wheat flour, then moving to the all purpose.
- Knead by hand on a silicon baking mat for 5 minutes or so, until dough is soft and springy. Allow dough to rest for at least 1 - 2 in a warm location until the dough has doubled in size. If its cold, I like to preheat my oven for a minute, turn it off, and let the dough sit in the warm oven to rise.
- Preaheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once dough has risen and doubled in size, knead it back down and form into 2 loaves. Place the loaves each in a greased loaf pan, and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes while your oven heats up.
- Once oven reaches temperature, slide loaf pans into the oven on the middle rack. Bake bread for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes on a baking sheet before slicing... mangia!
- While water is technically an ingredients I'm not counting it as it's free for everyone, and everyone has it on hand 🙂
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore!