Homemade All Natural DIY Dry Shampoo recipe is easy, takes about 5 minutes to make, and has just 2 all natural ingredients (vegan + gluten free). You likely have all the ingredients to make this in your pantry right now – so grab a jar, and get mixing!
OK, this recipe has been THE most life saving beauty product for me this past year. With more Zoom meetings, being on camera, and not wanting to wash my hair too much, I’ve been using this dry shampoo like crazy.
I used to use expensive dry shampoo aerosols, but I found that I went through the spray stuff so quickly! Plus it can be expensive and who knows what kinds of chemicals are lurking in there. We don’t love having aerosols around the house, so I found a better way to refresh my hair and keep the bad stuff out of the bathroom.
This Dry Shampoo Recipe Is:
- Easy to Make & Use
- Cost Effective
- Will Take any Oils out of your Hair
- Amazing smelling
- Hair Stylist approved (I told my hair dresser, and he LOVED this idea!)
With just 2 ingredients this dry shampoo is quick to make a batch of and keep in your bathroom for hair emergencies. Is especially perfect for the weekends when I’ve been doing a ton of yard/wood work and then have to grab a few things at the store (and want to look somewhat civilized without taking the time to wash my hair).
One of the BEST Natural Hair Product Recipes
This easy DIY dry shampoo recipe is a fantastic pantry-staple beauty hack! It uses almost all ingredients you would have in your dry pantry or cupboards – most of which you probably have on hand. Keeping a well-stocked pantry makes it easy to come up with great beauty recipes like this. I made a list of my Top 125 Plant-Based Pantry Staples that always keep stocked. And you can check out all my favorite pantry staple ingredients in my Amazon shop here.
What’s In Homemade Dry Shampoo?
- Corn Starch – absorbs all the oil in our hair, leaving a soft silky finish. This stuff is seriously magic. I always keep some of this corn starch in my pantry because it’s my secret ingredient for the crispiest oven baked fries. I like to use a good corn starch just to keep the chemicals out of my face/hair…. so treat yo self and your hair.
- Unsweetened Cacao Powder – I also like to use organic cacao powder for the purest ingredients for my natural beauty products. The cacao gives a darker color to the dry shampoo, which is perfect for darker hair. If you have blonde hair, you can skip the cacao powder and just use the corn starch… but for all of us brunettes, or anyone who has black, red, or grey hair, I’d recommend using a little cacao to match your color.
- Latch Jars for Storage – I love these little latch jars, which make it really easy to apply the dry shampoo. You can use any old container you have on hand, let’s be real, but I am a sucker for these little jars.
- Powder Brush – I like to use an old make up brush, specifically a powder brush from this set to apply the dry shampoo directly into my roots. You can grab a pinch with your hands and apply it to your hair… but I found that was too messy for me and I kept getting dry shampoo on my work blouses. So I switched to a large powder brush and have been keeping my shirts clean! This set is crazy inexpensive online and great since you’ll be making dry shampoo for pennies!
Since I have brown hair, I use an equal amount of arrowroot powder and cacao… but if you have lighter hair, then use less cacao for a lighter shampoo. Also, note that this smells amazing. Your hair will smell like dessert, so be prepared.
How Do I Make Dry Shampoo At Home?
This recipe could NOT be easier!
- Mix ingredients into a small jar- can use a mason jar or empty spice shaker.
- Apply or sprinkle to oily parts of hair and work into the roots with your fingers or an old makeup brush. Wait a few minutes then and brush hair normally.
How Do I Use Dry Shampoo?
You can either use an empty spice jar to make this, and sprinkle it on your hair and work it in with your fingers. I use an old make up brush like this one, to apply it from the jar right onto my roots. I then work it in a bit with my fingers, and brush it out after a few minutes. The result? Super full and fluffy hair (seriously!) every time. My hair is so fine, but right after I brush out the shampoo it’s miraculously full… I love it! Big hair, don’t care.
More Natural DIY Products You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients I Use For My DIY Dry Shampoo Recipe!
As always, if you make this vegan and gluten free shampoo recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
DIY Dry Shampoo (All Natural, Gluten Free)
- 1 4 or 5 ounce mason jar see note below
- 1 powder make-up brush note below!
- Mix ingredients into a small jar. I like using little latch mason jars, but you can use regular mason jars or even an empty spice shaker.
- Apply with a brush, or sprinkle to oily parts of hair and work into the roots with your fingers. Wait a few minutes then and brush hair normally.
Save Money on Organic Groceries!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market - they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive... think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
- Latch Jars for Storage - I love these little latch jars, which make it really easy to apply the dry shampoo. You can use any old container you have on hand, let's be real, but I am a sucker for these little jars.
- Powder Brush - I like to use an old make up brush, specifically a powder brush from this set to apply the dry shampoo directly into my roots. You can grab a pinch with your hands and apply it to your hair... but I found that was too messy for me and I kept getting dry shampoo on my work blouses. So I switched to a large powder brush and have been keeping my shirts clean! This set is crazy inexpensive online and great since you'll be making dry shampoo for pennies!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram and I'll feature you in my stories!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!