This sourdough garlic naan recipe is made with sourdough discard and is so easy to make! Cooks in 2 minutes. Vegan, dairy free, egg, free! This simple sourdough discard flatbread is fantastic alongside curries, soups, and stews. You can even use this garlic naan flatbread as a pizza crust.
This Sourdough Garlic Naan Recipe Is:
- Made with Sourdough Discard from the Starter
- A Great Side Dish
- Vegan, Dairy Free, Egg Free
Getting a big basket of garlic naan flatbread was always one of the best things about going out to eat at an Indian Restaurant. One of our favorite restaurants (Apna Pubjab in Johnston RI!) makes the best Indian food around… and the best garlic naan. I wanted to recreate the simple flatbread at home, and use my sourdough discard to add flavor and texture.
What’s In This Sourdough Garlic Naan Bread?
- Sourdough starter– my recipe for the simplest easiest sourdough starter is here! If you don’t have a starter already, you can buy a great one online.
- All purpose flour: I like to use this flour which is amazing for baking anything: breads, cakes, muffins, etc. It’s my absolute go-to flour, and what I use to feed my sourdough starter.
- Unsweetened almond milk: I like this shelf-stable almond milk which lasts for months and months in the pantry. It’s a staple for us when I can’t get fresh almond milk from the store.
- Fine Sea Salt: I like a fine ground sea salt for baking. Normally I like rock himalayan salt, but I find that a fine grain salt distributes more evenly in breads and cakes.
- Baking powder: we use low sodium baking powder to cut back (because almost every prepared food is loaded with sodium). It’s a little thing that I feel good about.
- Olive oil: I like to use Zoe olive oil for everything in the kitchen – its has a great flavor and tastes amazing. I add it to this naan to give it extra flavor, and drizzle a little extra olive oil on top after cooking. At about $10 for a whole liter, it’s a pretty good value too.
- Garlic: I lilke to use fresh garlic when I have it, but I love this jarred organic garlic when I don’t have fresh… it’s the next best thing!
- Parsley to top
Recipes Using Sourdough Starter Discard
How Do I Make This Sourdough Garlic Naan Bread Recipe?
The Best Recipes to Serve with Garlic Naan
Get the Same Ingredients I Use in My Vegan Sourdough Discard Naan Recipe!
As always, if you make this vegan sourdough garlic naan bread recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch – make sure to sign up for my newsletter to get healthy recipes delivered fresh to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow over on Pinterest, Instagram , & Twitter– I’d love to connect with you there!
Sourdough Garlic Naan (Vegan)
- 1 cup sourdough starter discard
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for spreading
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- Parsley to top
- Add all ingredients (except garlic + parsley) to a large bowl. Mix well to combine the dough. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, adding more flour if the dough is too sticky. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- To cook, heat a cast iron skillet until hot (I did this over medium-high heat, a 6 out of 10 on my electric stove). Divide the dough into 6 even disks and roll each until they are about 1/4inch thick.
- Place one piece of rolled dough on the hot skillet. Allow to cook for about 75 to 90 seconds, and flip. Cook the other side for about 45 to 60 seconds. The bread should be nice & crusty and have dark (but not burnt) marks.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough discs.
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil, raw garlic, and parsley. Enjoy!