This saag aloo made in the slow cooker is warmly spiced, creamy, and perfect to serve along side a bowl of basmati rice. Spinach and potatoes come together to make a easy and filling weeknight meal that is cooked in a crock pot.
This is my new favorite meal to make on the weekends. I’ve been using my crockpot a lot more lately, and I really forget how amazing it is to have going in the background while I am working around the house. All the ingredients for a dinner can go in the crockpot in the morning, set on low, and by dinner time its ready! The least amount of effort, the better!
This Saag Aloo Is:
- Vegan & Gluten Free
- Made in the slow cooker or crock pot!
We used to have a really fantastic Indian restaurant down the street from us, but it recently moved to another town. So I’ve been needing to get my Saag fix lately- so I created this recipe with fresh spinach and potatoes.
Whats In This Saag Aloo?
- Aromatics: Onion and freshly ground ginger root
- Spices: Garam Masala, Curry Powder, Turmeric, Cumin
- Coconut Milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Its truly amazing how much fresh spinach cooks down. This recipe calls for 2 huge bags of fresh spinach… which eventually becomes like 2 cups once its cooked! You could also use frozen spinach for this- when I used frozen spinach I found that using 3 bags of chopped frozen spinach was perfect.
How Do I Make This Saag Aloo?
- It really couldn’t be easier, thanks to the slow cooker! Just add all the ingredients (except the spinach), allow to cook for several hours.
- Then add the spinach at the end, allowing it to cook enough to gently wilt.
This is a great recipe to serve over white basmati rice, and the leftovers save nicely in the fridge for dinner the next evening too. The fresh ginger really makes this recipe, so use ginger root if you have it and not powder!
What Do I serve with this Saag Aloo in the Slow Cooker?
- Basmati Rice!
- Garlic Naan, or any naan really, but c’mon whats better than garlic naan? 🙂
- If you don’t have naan, then a roti or flatbread also works.
This is also a great way to use leftover potatoes- if I have extra that I need to use ASAP, I will dice them up and freeze them… and use them in this recipe another time! This is great with fresh or frozen veggies. If using frozen, add a little extra time to the slow cooker.
- This recipe is naturally vegan, but if you aren’t vegan and wanted to add some ghee, you can also include that into the recipe.
- This recipe is Gluten Free, so make sure to serve with a GF naan 🙂
As always if you make this saag aloo be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Saag Aloo in the Slow Cooker - Vegan Indian Crock Pot Recipe!
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger root minced
- 5 medium potatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk full fat
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 cups of fresh baby spinach or 2 large bags of chopped frozen spinach
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot except for the spinach. Cover and cook on Low for 6-7 hours.
- When you are ready to add the spinach, slowly stir in one handful at a time, so it gradually wilts. Stir and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed- serve with garlic naan and rice!