This raw honey mustard coleslaw is the perfect picnic side, pot luck dish, or salad for your summer BBQ. Its a little savory, a little sweet, and loaded with fresh vegetables for a bright crunch.
As a beekeeper, I know honey! I love adding raw honey to all kinds of sweet and savory dishes. This honey mustard coleslaw is tangy and delicious, and the bright honey mustard dressing gives an incredible flavor to the dish!
This Honey Mustard Coleslaw Recipe Is:
- Loaded with fresh vegetables and nuts
- Vegetarian and gluten free, and very easy to make vegan.
Fresh coleslaw is so yummy served with anything coming off the grill. Its awesome with veggie burgers, hot dogs, fresh grilled corn, or any salad. This honey mustard salad is actually loaded with tons of vegetables in it, so it has a nice refreshing crunch in eat bite.
Whats In This Honey Mustard Coleslaw?
- Green Cabbage: for a bright fresh crunch!
- Red Cabbage: for a pop of extra color
- Carrots: for sweetness and crunch
- Walnuts: For a little savory bite in this salad. The walnuts pair so well with the fresh cabbage and the honey dressing.
- Greek Yogurt: I use this in the dressing instead of mayonnaise which is traditional. It lightens up the coleslaw a bit and gives it a delicious flavor (not to mention extra protein!). You can use regular, homemade, or a vegan version for plant-based.
- Yellow Mustard: I used the classic prepared yellow mustard for a vinegar-y kick
- Whole Grain Mustard: For texture and flavor
- Apple Cider Vinegar: for a nice acidity and a little kick. You can also use a white vinegar or any you prefer in a salad.
- Raw Honey: raw honey for a bit of sweetness. Maple syrup would also be a delicious substitute for a vegan option!
We have tons of raw honey straight from our beehives. Its one of the benefits to beekeeping! We keep a few jars of honey each year for ourselves, but mostly give away what we ave to our friends and family. Last year we were able to harvest 3 times during the summer and fall, and I sold a lot of my honey at work too. Its my favorite natural sweetener for sure!
Other Summer Salads We Love!
As always if you make this honey mustard coleslaw be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Honey Mustard Coleslaw (Gluten Free, Vegetarian)
For the Salad
- 3 cups red cabbage finely shredded
- 3 cups green cabbage finely shredded
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
For the Dressing
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- 3/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 cloves garlic pressed or finely minced
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded red cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, and walnuts. Toss to combine.
For the Honey Mustard Dressing
- In a mason jar, add all ingredients together, seal with an airtight lid, and shake well to combine. Pour dressing over the coleslaw and stir well to combine all ingredients. Enjoy!