This easy vegan green bean casserole recipe is made in the slow cooker and perfect for a meatless Thanksgiving – an be made vegan as well.
Due to some last-minute change of plans, we ended up spending American Thanksgiving on the homestead this year… just the two of us! Well, and the 3 kitties too.
We decided to do a full-on Thanksgiving spread with all the fixin’s! I decided this would be the perfect time try out a few crockpot recipes, as I had the day before Thanksgiving off and plenty of time to slice, dice, and do some serious meal prep.
I started off with making an amazing Spiced Cranberry Sauce with Orange and Ginger in the Slow Cooker. Then I kept the crock pot going, and made this Green Bean Casserole.
To do it right it requires a bit of assembly: sauteéing the garlic and onions first is a crucial first step! I also chose to use 3 different kinds of green beans for texture: canned, frozen, and fresh. If using fresh or frozen, it does help to blanche the beans first before adding them to the slow cooker, but this step can be skipped. Everything else gets thrown in and set to low for a few hours!
Vegan Green Bean Casserole in the Slow Cooker (Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms diced
- 1 lb Fresh green beans end trimmed
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 3 cans french cut green beans drained and rinsed
- 1 10.5 ounce can Vegan Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 cup almond milk or other milk alternative
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 cups French’s fried onions divided
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms, and saute on low for 8 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- In the same pot, fill with 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Add the fresh green beans and frozen green beans, and cook for 5 minutes. Beans should be a bright green color and slightly al dente. Drain, and add beans to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker: cream of mushroom soup, almond milk, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, breadcrumbs, and 1.5 cups of the friend onions (reserve a half cup of the green beans for top of casserole later).
- Mix and cook on high for 3-4 hours, until bubbling.
- Optional Step - Grease a 13 x 9 casserole dish and transfer green bean mixture into dish. Top with remaining fried onions, and broil for 5 minutes until the top begins to crisp.