This immune-boosting homemade fire cider tonic packs a punch with plenty of vitamins! Easy to make with whole clean ingredients, give yourself a boost with a natural home remedy!
I was first introduced to Fire Cider at a store in Waterbury, Vermont a few years back – they were selling a bottle of tonic which was locally made in VT, had turmeric, garlic, horseradish, and jalapeños in it… and I was instantly hooked! My husband and I bought a pretty expensive bottle, went through it quickly, and ordered a few more and had them shipped down to us…. Ka-ching $$$.
Needless to say, the tonic was really amazing, but not exactly cost efficient. When I found a similar recipe in an Ayurvedic cookbook, realized it was the same darn thing as the expensive stuff I was buying from Vermont, I had to try it! And WOW, it does not disappoint.
Taking a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar each day is recommended for helping with a whole bunch of ailments – and this Fire Cider Recipe kicks basic ACV up a notch. It does burn a bit when it goes down, but in that good healthy way that eating fresh ginger and garlic burns when you chew on it. It hurts SO good. 🙂
Please note: I am not a health professional, and do not claim this will cure any ailment. Its merely a traditional home remedy, so please consult your doctor with any medical questions.
I had always had the tonic strained and just in liquid form – but my husband had a great idea to reuse the solids from after I strained out the tonic. He saved all that good pulp and blended it with a little additional ACV until it formed a paste. We’ve been taking a spoonful of the tonic that way too and it really is just as amazing!
As always, if you make this fire cider recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Fire Cider Tonic - Home Cold & Flu Remedy! (Vegan, Paleo, Whole30, GF)
- 1/2 cup horseradish grated
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger grated
- 1 red onion chopped
- 20 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 lemon thinly sliced (do not remove peel)
- 1 orange thinly sliced (do not remove peel)
- 4 habanero peppers sliced
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup/sweetener of choice
- 3-5 cups organic Apple Cider Vinegar - With the Mother
- Sanitize 2 quart-sized mason jars, and divide the ingredients in equal parts for each jar. Begin by layering the horseradish, ginger, red onion, garlic, lemon, orange, habanero, turmeric, and agave into each jar.
- Fill the remaining space in each jar with apple cider vinegar - I used about 2 cups for each jar.
- To seal, place a piece of parchment paper under each jar lid to prevent the lids from rusting. Once the parchment paper is down, add the lid and the band and turn until tight.
- Store in a cool, dark place and let the fire cider steep for 4 weeks. Shake once daily.
- When you are ready to strain, strain the mixture through 2 layers of fine cheesecloth or a nut milk bag. Sterilize jars for the fire cider, and it will last for up to a year.
- For the solids, you can discard or blend with additional apple cider vinegar for an even more powerful pulpy tonic.
- Take two tablespoons daily!