A rich and flavorful french onion vegan soup made with only a few simple ingredients! This plant-based soup is perfect for a vegan dinner party or special occasion.
I have made a lot of recipes on this blog, and I don’t think anything has earned the title of EPIC yet… until this amazing French Onion Soup! Oooh la la!
My husband and I LOVE French food – we took a trip to Lyon after dating for 6 months and it was basically a 2 week long foodcation. The food in Lyon really just ruined any other dining experience for me, nothing has compared to the little bistros, 3 course meals, and bottles of French wine.
Luckily, we have found some great French restaurants in our area which are perfect when we are feeling like indulging. Pot Au Feu in Providence, RI is outstanding (definitely our favorite ‘splurge’ restaurant… which also has a vegan menu!), and La Voile in Boston is also a favorite.
We went to Pot Au Feu a few weeks ago and had the French Onion Soup there… which made me want to make my own recipe at home!
I always hated onions (like was terrified by them) for my whole life until a few years ago when I embraced them… and now love them! I have tons and tons of onion recipes now and rarely make a soup or stew without them.
Onions absolutely shine in this recipe, and with the few other simple ingredients transform into an amazing, flavorful, and rich soup.
It was a bit time consuming to make since the onions take a while to cook down, but let me tell you it is WORTH IT. This is a great recipe for when you want something fancy and have a few extra hours to spare in the kitchen (doesn’t happen too often, but I’ll take them when I can get them)!
Rave reviews for this recipe, I cannot wait to make this again! It was just as good as the restaurant and alllllmost as good as being in actual France 🙂
Vegan French Onion Soup (Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Meatless)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 3 lbs onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 springs fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine use a good wine so you can cook with half the bottle and drink the rest!
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 4 Pieces Sourdough Bread
- Optional 1/2 cup grated sharp cheese anything vegan melty (or imported Gruyere if you’re going to use the real stuff)
- In a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and butter on low heat until melted. Add the sliced onions and stir occasionally for about 30-45 minutes until they become dark brown and caramelized.
- Add the thyme and white wine and deglaze the pot. With a wooden spoon scrape the bottom of the pan until all the little brown onion bits have been released into the soup. Cook for 10 minutes until the wine has mostly evaporated. Add the vegetable stock and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, slice small pieces of sourdough bread. If using cheese, add it to the top of the bread pieces and toast under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese begins to melt and the edges of the bread start to brown.
- Place a piece of bread at the bottom of the bowl and ladle the soup on top! Enjoy!