This vegan French onion soup recipe is made with only a few simple ingredients! This plant-based soup is perfect for a vegan dinner party or special occasion.
With just a few simple ingredients, you’ll be amazed at the flavors you can build into this fantastic soup. Top with a thick crouton and deliciously melty plant based cheese.
I have made a lot of recipes on this blog, and I don’t think anything has earned the title of EPIC yet… until this amazing vegan French Onion Soup. My husband and I LOVE French food – we took a trip to Lyon a few years back and it was definitely a food-based vacation. The food in Lyon really just ruined any other dining experience for me, nothing has compared to the little bistros, 3 course meals, and bottles of French wine.
Luckily, we have found some great French restaurants in our area which are perfect when we are feeling like indulging. Pot Au Feu in Providence, RI is outstanding (definitely our favorite ‘splurge’ restaurant… which also has a vegan menu!), and La Voile in Boston is also a favorite.
This Vegan French Onion Soup Recipe Is
- Loaded with Vegetables
- Plant Based
- Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Make French Onion Soup Vegan for a Plant-Based Version
This vegan French onion soup is a simple way to get extra veggies in your diet. I’m all about making recipes plant-based when I can. Vegan cooking does NOT have to be bland, boring, or flavorless… It’s quite the opposite when done right. By building meals around vegan pantry staples and swapping in a few plant-based ingredients you can make better meals for you and your family.
I made a list of my 125 favorite vegan pantry ingredients that we use on a weekly basis, and check out all my vegan recipes here that are on The Herbeevore. These easy and tasty recipes are fantastic meatless and dairy free meals for your table.
What’s In Vegan French Onion Soup?
I cook with fresh produce from my garden and from Misfits Market– they sell fantastic fruit, vegetables, & pantry staples at a discounted price. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out favorite produce for delivery. Get $10 off your first box here!
- Onions, Thyme
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: I like to use this fruity olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s really inexpensive online here, so I keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value, I would highly recommend!
- Low Sodium Vegetable Stock – I like to use this low sodium vegetable stock for my recipes because it has great flavor… without all the salt. I always use low sodium or no-salt-added broth or stock to start, and then I can add salt or other spices later if needed.
- Vegan/Gluten Free Bread – use a gluten free bread if you can’t eat wheat. I like to make my own bread, and they have some great artisan bread gluten free mixes out there too!
- Parmesan Substitute for a vegan version! – gives that extra bit of flavor and richness to this dish. This vegan version adds a little extra into the soup (and for garnish) makes this dish delicious.
Dairy Free French Onion Soup for the Win!
Onions absolutely shine in this recipe, and with the few other simple ingredients transform into an amazing, flavorful, and rich soup.
It’s a little time consuming cook down the onions, but let me tell you it is WORTH IT. This is a great recipe for when you want something fancy and have a few extra hours to spare in the kitchen (doesn’t happen too often, but I’ll take them when I can get them)!
Rave reviews for this recipe, I cannot wait to make this again! It was just as good as the restaurant and almost as good as being in actual France 🙂
More Dairy Free Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Share this Vegan French Onion Soup Recipe
If you make this easy vegan onion soup recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipes!
Let’s keep in touch – subscribe to my monthly newsletter to get free recipe inspiration.
Vegan French Onion Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 lbs sweet onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 springs thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine use a good wine so you can cook with half the bottle and drink the rest!
- 6 cups No-Salt-Added Vegetable Stock
- 4 Pieces Sourdough Bread gluten free, if needed
- Optional 1/2 cup grated sharp cheese anything vegan melty (or imported Gruyere if you’re going to use the real stuff)
- In a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and butter on low heat until melted. Add the sliced onions and stir occasionally for about 30-45 minutes until they become dark brown and caramelized.
- Add the thyme and white wine and deglaze the pot. With a wooden spoon scrape the bottom of the pan until all the little brown onion bits have been released into the soup. Cook for 10 minutes until the wine has mostly evaporated. Add the vegetable stock and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, slice small pieces of sourdough bread. If using cheese, add it to the top of the bread pieces and toast under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese begins to melt and the edges of the bread start to brown.
- Place a piece of bread at the bottom of the bowl and ladle the soup on top! Enjoy!
Save Money on Organic Produce!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market – they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every other week and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive… think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!