This Black Bean Shakshuka Recipe Is:
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Loaded with Vegetables & Spices
- Vegetarian, Gluten Free, and SO Yummy!
High Protein Vegetarian Brunch Recipes for the WIN!
This shakshuka with black beans recipe is great for a high protein vegetarian weekend breakfast, brunch, or brinner (breakfast for dinner!). It’s the perfect recipe for brunch guests, or just for getting the whole family together to enjoy a slow weekend meal. This easy bean and egg bake recipe is also great for having company over for a holiday brunch as well. Ready in under 30 minutes, this frittata is simple to get on the table, and it will go fast! You can see all my breakfast and brunch recipes on The Herbeevore here, and also if you are heading to a brunch at someone else’s home check out my brunch hostess gift guide for simple gift ideas the host will love!
What’s In This Shakshuka with Black Beans Recipe?
- Olive Oil: I like to use this fruity Zoe olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s really inexpensive online here, so I keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value, I would highly recommend!
- Onion, Garlic, Bell Pepper, Green Onion, Cilantro: I got the fresh produce for this recipe from my garden and from my Misfits Market box – they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first box by clicking here!
- Black Beans: Use no salt added or low sodium beans for better flavor and control of the salt in your shakshuka.
- Diced Tomatoes: I only use no salt added diced tomatoes, these boxed tomatoes are really great to stock up on! I like boxed tomatoes better because they are BPA free and more eco-friendly than aluminum cans. If you haven’t read about the dangers of consuming foods stored in BPA cans, head over to Nutrition Facts to read more.
- Chili Powder: for a really nice flavor in this dip – the chili powder isn’t spicy but will give you a rich and bright flavor.
- Smoked Paprika: give an additional depth of flavor to this dish.
- Red Chili Pepper Flakes: for a little heat! I like to add a few shakes to this recipe to give this dish a nice complex depth of flavor.
- Tomatillo Salsa or Salsa Verde: we used a homemade tomatillo salsa for this breakfast sandwich, but this great tomatillo salsa you can get online here is the perfect addition too!
Make Black Bean Shakshuka Gluten Free for a Healthy Version
This gluten free black bean shakshuka recipe is a simple meal to make without the wheat. I’m all about making recipes gluten free when I can. Gluten free cooking does NOT have to be bland, boring, or flavorless… It’s quite the opposite when done right. By building meals around gluten free pantry staples and swapping in a few wheat-less ingredients you can make healthier meals for you and your family. I made a list of my 125 favorite gluten free pantry ingredients that we use on a weekly basis, and check out all my gluten free recipes here that are on The Herbeevore. These easy and healthy recipes are fantastic meals for everyone at your table.
How Do I Make Shakshuka with Beans?
30 Minute Breakfast Beans Recipes
This vegetarian shakshuka with black beans is what I call an Easy Weekend Meal – which is on your table in about 30 minutes. These quick and simple recipes are perfect for those days when you want a healthy homecooked meal but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen. I have a wholesection of The Herbeevore dedicated to Easy Weeknight Meals, that are great for the whole family. From soups and stews, to pastas and proteins – a healthy meal can be on your table in no time. Even faster than ordering from a diner!
Other Easy Vegetarian Brunch Recipes You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients For This Black Bean Shakshuka Recipe:
As always, if you make this vegetarian and gluten free black bean shakshuka recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Black Bean Shakshuka
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and bell pepper and saute for 5 to 6 minutes until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, and paprika, chili powder and simmer for about 15 minutes until warm and bubbling.
- With a spoon, make 4 wells in the beans. Crack and egg into each well. Cover the skillet and cook for 8 to 10 minutes more until eggs are cooked all the way through.
- Before serving, top shakshuka with chopped green onions, cilantro, red chili flakes, and salsa verde to taste.
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!