This vegetarian sheet pan pasta recipe is a fun take on a classic pasta bake! Made with orzo, fresh mozzarella, spices, and a hint of fresh lemon for a burst of flavor.
Sometimes you see a new way of cooking pasta and think, ‘Wow, I gotta try that!’ I love the idea of sheet pan meals. Everything cooks in the oven while you have time to multitask other things. But with an easy weeknight pasta? It turns out perfectly! Make sure you have a tall enough sheet pan (I like one like this with a 2 inch lip) and you can cook pasta in the oven. No stovetop cooking required.
This sheet pan pasta came out amazing! It smelled fantastic while it was cooking (thank you roasted garlic). And looked gorgeous coming out of the oven with melted cheese. The cheese was so melty and gooey, it pulled in long strings when I tried to dish up. It actually got all over the spoon and our bowl, and I found a little cheese strand on one of the cats after dinner (sorry Onyx)!
What’s In This Easy Sheet Pan Pasta Recipe?
- Olive Oil: I like to use this delicious Zoe olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s really inexpensive online here, so I keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value, I would highly recommend!
- Garlic: I use fresh garlic when I have it, and this great jarred organic garlic when I don’t have fresh. It’s actually super convenient to have pre-chopped garlic on hand for quick and easy meal prep.
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Lemon Juice: Use fresh lemons if you have it, or this really great powdered lemon that you can keep in your pantry if you don’t have fresh lemons. This lemon is great for dressings, dips, and even cocktails.Pink Himalayan Sea Salt: I like to use a pink Himalayan Sea Salt in my kitchen, which has more natural minerals than plain processed table salt. It’s fairly inexpensive, so I’d recommend this salt if you’re looking for an easy way to level up your spice pantry.
- Tellicherry Black Pepper: Like the salt, it’s amazing the flavor difference you can get with really good tellicherry black pepper. This pepper is the same price is buying pre-ground, and has a million times more flavor! I use these really great tellicherry peppercorns, which I would definitely recommend.
- Orzo Pasta: I use regular orzo pasta, or another small pasta shape. But you can use a whole wheat orzo, or even a gluten free orzo pasta like this one here!
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Parmesan Cheese: you can use freshly grated parmesan cheese, or pantry parm will work in a pinch!
Can I Cook Pasta in the Oven?
Yes, you absolutely can! Just make sure you have a tall enough sheet pan so it doesn’t overflow and make a mess. This isn’t a “set it and forget it” sheet pan meal. It does involve taking the dish in and out of the oven a few times to stir and add ingredients at different stages of cooking. But this easy weeknight pasta was really fun to assemble and make. It all came together pretty quickly too. I’m definitely adding this to my Easy Weeknight Meals collection.
This sheet pan pasta recipe got an A+ from me and the hubby, which is always great when I am trying a new recipe. To make vegan, just substitue a non-dairy cheese, and enjoy!
Other Simple Sheet Pan Meals You’ll Love!
- Mediterranean Sheet Pan Chicken with Vegetables (Whole30, Paleo, Keto)
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi Butternut Squash & Kale (Vegan, Dairy Free)
- Sheet Pan Fajitas w/ Avocado Lime Crema (Vegan, Paleo, Whole30, GF)
- Aloha BBQ Tofu Bowls (Vegan, Gluten Free, Sheet Pan Dinner)
- Rosemary Focaccia Bread Recipe (Vegan, Pantry Staple Bread)
Get the Same Ingredients I Use For My Vegetarian Sheet Pan Pasta Dinner Recipe:
As always, if you make this Easy Sheet Pan Pasta Dinner recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch – make sure to sign up for my newsletter to get healthy recipes delivered fresh to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow over on Pinterest, Instagram , & Twitter– I’d love to connect with you there!
Sheet Pan Pasta Bake with Mozzarella and Lemon (Vegetarian)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 pints cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 lemon sliced thin and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb (16 ounce package) Dry Orzo Pasta or other small pasta shape of choice
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup fresh basil julienned
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese plus extra for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the sheet pan in the oven on the medium back and keep it in there while the oven comes to temprature.
- In a medium bowl, toss the olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, lemon, salt, and pepper. When oven is heated, add the tomato mixture to the sheet pan in a even layer. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Take the sheet pan out of the oven, and add the orzo and boiling water. Stir well so all ingredients are well combined. Cover sheet pan with aluminum foil, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and stir the orzo again, cook for an additional 5 minutes so orzo soaks up all the liquid.
- Preheat the broiler on high. Remove sheet pan from oven, and stir in the basil. Top with mozzarella cheese distributed evenly over the pasta. And add parmesan on top of that. Place sheet pan back in the oven, and broil on high for 3 to 5 minutes, being careful not to burn the cheese!
- Dish up and top your bowl with any additional parm wanted… Serve with a salad or garlic bread!