When you don’t have the time (or the cheese) to make a full lasagna – this recipe satisfies the crave in a fraction of the time. This soup is perfect for these cold winter nights when you want to curl up and tuck into some comfort food without the guilt.
I love all things pasta, and lasagna is a recipe for what I like to call “special occasion cooking” where the dish takes an extraordinary amount of time and effort to pull together. NOT this soup, it couldn’t be easier. You get all the flavors of a lasagna (and the fun texture of the noodles) without really any of the work.
‘Traditional’ vegan lasagnas can be tricky to make anyways – with layers of fake cheese that don’t really melt, blended tofu fillings, layered veggies which take tons of time to chop just right… skip all of that and make this soup instead.
The creaminess comes from the cashew cream, and when it gets stirred into the soup becomes wonderfully rich and delicious.
The only caveat I do have with this recipe is the noodles: Do not add the noodles to the soup while it is still hot – if you have leftovers this will cause the noodles to overcook and become mushy and absorb too much liquid. If you’re going to eat the soup right away its fine to combine them together, but if you are Meal Prepping or Batch Cooking for the week (which I did for the recipe below) I always cook the noodles separately.
Creamy Vegan Lasagna Soup (Gluten Free, Non Dairy, Meatless, Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 12 ounce package meatless ground “meat”
- 1 cup baby peas
- 1 12 ounce package lasagna noodles, gluten free and crushed into bite sized pieces
- 1 16 ounce bag fresh baby spinach (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup cashew cream 1/4 cup raw unsalted cashews soaked in 1/4 cup warm water, blended
- Fresh Basil
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes optional for heat, add 1/4 teaspoon
- Himalayan Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a large soup pot heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 5-6 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the carrots and Italian seasoning, and sauté for a few minutes more.
- Add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, meatless ground meat, and peas and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium pot, bring salted water to a boil and add the lasagna noodles. Cook to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Once the soup as simmered for 20 minutes, add the baby spinach, cashew cream, and fresh basil. Stir to combine. Taste for a seasoning check and add salt or pepper as needed.
- If eating immediately, scoop the desired about of noodles into a bowl, and ladle the soup on top of it in a dish. If batch cooking for later- remove the pot from heat, and allow to cool on the stove top. Once the soup has cooled then add the lasagna noodles to the dish.