This creamy garlic pasta shells recipe is vegan and gluten free, thanks to healthy roasted vegetables and garlic cooked 4 different ways in this dish! This bright and fresh pasta is a fantastic treat for dinner, served with a side salad and some crusty sourdough bread.
These Healthy Creamy Garlic Pasta Shells Are:
- Loaded with garlic, 4 different ways
- Actually (and secretly) so healthy
- Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and 100% pure magic
OK, What’s In These Creamy Garlic Pasta Shells?
- Shell Pasta, or conchiglie if ya fancy. As someone who is part Italian (and someone who is obsessed with pasta) I pride myself on knowing the Italian names of most pasta shapes… but I gotta admit, I had to google this one. I used a medium shell pasta for this recipe, which works so well with the sauce. Save your larger shells to stuff with ricotta, and save your smaller shells for soup – a nice medium shell is just right. This gluten free shell pasta is perfect for those avoiding wheat.
- Zucchini: this is the true “secret sauce” ingredient in the secret sauce. I roast zucchini, and blend it with unsweetened almond milk to make a thick, creamy, flavorful sauce. Its pure planty magic. Roasting the zucchini brings out a natural sweetness and gives the sauce an amazing depth of flavor.
- Onion: Along with the zucchini above, gets roasted and blended in the sauce.
- Garlic: I use fresh garlic when I have it, and this great jarred organic garlic when I don’t have fresh. It’s actually super convenient to have pre-chopped garlic on hand for quick and easy meal prep.
- Garlic Salt: for a little extra flavor than traditional salt. I like to use this garlic salt in my savory Italian dishes for that extra kick.
- Garlic Powder: Also a major pantry staple ingredient that get used in our house daily! I love this garlic powder and add it to a lot of recipes that I would use fresh garlic in too.
- Olive Oil: I like to use this delicious Zoe olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s really inexpensive online here, so I keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value, I would highly recommend!
- Almond Milk: Plain, unsweetened works perfectly.Y ou can use any variety that you would drink. I prefer almond milk, which Silk has a shelf-stable version that lasts up to a year in the pantry!
- Nutritional Yeast: not to be confused with bread baking yeast, nutritional yeast has a cheesy nutty umami flavor which is great in all kinds of dishes – I even sprinkle it on fresh popped pop corn and WOW! Also great in soups and sauces of all kinds.
How Do I Make These Gluten Free Vegan Garlic Pasta Shells?
Other Healthy & Fresh Pasta Recipes We Love!
Get the Same Ingredients I Use For My Vegan & Gluten Free Garlic Shell Pasta Recipe!
As always, if you make this creamy garlic pasta shells recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch – make sure to sign up for my newsletter to get healthy recipes delivered fresh to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow over on Pinterest, Instagram , & Twitter– I’d love to connect with you there!
Creamy Garlic Pasta Shells Recipe (vegan, Gluten Free)
- Cook shells according to package instructions, drain and set aside in the pot that the noodles cooked in.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Add 12 cloves of the garlic (saving 3 for later), the onion, and zucchini to the sheet pan. Top with the olive oil, garlic powder, and garlic salt. Toss well to combine, making sure the vegetables are coated in the spices and oil. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, flipping the vegetables halfway through baking.
- When vegetables are finished roasting, add them to a high speed blender with the remaining 3 cloves of raw garlic, soy milk, and the nutritional yeast. Blend until a thick and creamy sauce forms.
- Pour sauce over the shell pasta in the pot, and heat on low heat until warmed through. Serve and enjoy!