This beet green pesto is vegan & gluten free, garlicky and spicy, simple to make, and is a great no cook pasta sauce for summer nights. Best beet top recipes! If you are wondering what to do with leftover beet greens that you got from a veggie or local CSA box then look no further.
This Beet Green Pesto Is:
- Packed with flavor!
- Slightly spicy
- Raw vegan, gluten free, paleo friendly, whole30 approved!
Whats In This Beet Green Pesto?
- Fresh Beet Greens: Whether you grow your own beets, or buy beets at the store with the tops still on – use can use the leaves to make fresh and vibrant recipes.
- Basil: Traditional in Italian pesto, the fresh basil adds a kick and complexity that pairs really well with the mustard greens.
- Garlic: I use fresh garlic when I have it, and this great jarred organic garlic when I don’t have fresh. It’s actually super convenient to have pre-chopped garlic on hand for quick and easy meal prep.
- Walnuts: because YUM in this pesto. I stocked up a few bags of these Amazon-brand walnuts which are super cheap and a great value for the quality.
- Olive Oil: I like to use this delicious Zoe olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s really inexpensive online here, so I keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value, I would highly recommend!
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt: I like to use a pink Himalayan Sea Salt in my kitchen, which has more natural minerals than plain processed table salt. It’s fairly inexpensive, so I’d recommend this salt if you’re looking for an easy way to level up your spice pantry.
- Tellicherry Black Pepper: Like the salt, it’s amazing the flavor difference you can get with really good tellicherry black pepper. This pepper is the same price is buying pre-ground, and has a million times more flavor! I use these really great tellicherry peppercorns, which I would definitely recommend.
Beet Green Recipes For the WIN!
How Do I Make This Pesto with Beet Greens?
- In a food processor add the beet greens, basil, garlic, almonds, and salt.
- Pulse a few times, then turn the food processor on low and steam in the olive oil. Stop, and check the consistency, adding more olive oil if needed.
- Toss with fresh pasta, use pesto as a sauce on homemade pizza, or enjoy pesto as a dip for vegetables or bread
What Else Can I Cook With Beet Greens?
So, this pesto is already vegan, gluten free, whole30, and paleo friendly! Traditionally pesto recipes use cheese, which I opted to leave out of this for a dairy free version. But if you aren’t vegan or dairy-free then I would recommended adding a big scoop of freshly grated parmesan in the sauce or to top your pasta before serving.
Enjoy this Vegan Beet Green Pesto Recipe With:
- Toss with cooked pasta for a delicious dinner
- Add to Garlic Lovers Garlic Bread
- Use pesto as a pizza sauce, or top your pizza with a drizzle
- Mix a scoop into risotto for a delicious pesto risotto
- Make pesto soup, which combines fresh vegetables, beans, noodles, and pesto in the broth
Get the Same Ingredients I Use For My Vegan Beet Green Pesto Recipe!
As always, if you make this beet greens pesto be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch – make sure to sign up for my newsletter to get healthy recipes delivered fresh to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow over on Pinterest, Instagram , & Twitter– I’d love to connect with you there!
Beet Green Pesto (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Blender or Food Processor
- In a food processor or blender, add the beet greens, basil, garlic, almonds, and salt. Pulse a few times, then turn the food processor on low and steam in the olive oil. Stop, and check the consistency, adding more olive oil if needed.
- Toss with fresh pasta, use pesto as a sauce on homemade pizza, or enjoy pesto as a dip for vegetables or bread.