This turnip greens pesto recipe is garlicky and spicy, easy to make, and is a great no-cook pasta sauce for summer nights. A turnip greens recipe that is tasty and simple!
If you are wondering what to do with the tops of the turnips that you got from a veggie or local CSA box then look no further!
This Turnip Green Pesto Is:
- Packed with flavor!
- Slightly spicy
Make Pesto with Turnip Greens
Whats In This Turnip Green Pesto?
I get fresh produce from my garden and from Misfits Market– they sell fantastic fruit, vegetables, & pantry staples at a discounted price. We get Misfit boxes every other week and love picking out favorite produce for delivery. Get $10 off your first box here!
- Fresh Turnip Greens: when our turnips are ready to harvest, I save the tops, wash the greens, and love cooking with them. This no waste recipe is a great way to eat turnip greens!
- Basil: Traditional in Italian pesto, the fresh basil adds a kick and complexity that pairs really well with the mustard greens.
- Parmesan Cheese – you can use a regular, vegetarian, or plant-based version depending on your dietary needs.
- Walnuts: because YUM in this pesto. I stocked up a few bags of these Amazon-brand walnuts which are super cheap and a great value for the quality.
- Olive Oil: I like to use this delicious olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s really inexpensive online, so I keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value, I would highly recommend!
- Salt & Pepper
A No-Cook Turnip Tops Recipe That’s Perfect for Summer
This no-cook turnip green pesto is a quick and simple recipe. I love a good no-cook recipe for those days when I’m not feeling like standing around the stove, or for summer nights when it’s too hot to cook.
I have a whole collection of recipes that require zero cooking at all, check them out here! This turnip pesto comes together in about 10 minutes, and doesn’t require the stove or microwave to make. Just some fresh greens, a few pantry staple ingredients and you have a healthy meal ready in no time. And very little to clean up afterwards… an added bonus!
How Do I Make This Pesto with Turnip Greens?
- In a food processor add the turnip greens, basil, garlic, almonds, and salt.
- Pulse a few times, then turn the food processor on low and steam in the olive oil. Stop, and check the consistency, adding more olive oil if needed.
- Toss with fresh pasta, use pesto as a sauce on homemade pizza, or enjoy pesto as a dip for vegetables or bread
Can I Eat Turnip Greens?
So, this pesto is vegetarian if you use a vegetarian parmesan cheese that does not contain rennet! Traditionally pesto recipes use cheese, which you can to leave out of this for a dairy free & vegan version.
But if you aren’t vegan or dairy-free then I would recommended adding a big scoop of freshly grated parmesan in the sauce or to top your pasta before serving.
A Few Ways to Enjoy Pesto
- Toss with cooked pasta for a delicious dinner
- Add to Garlic Lovers Garlic Bread
- Use pesto as a pizza sauce, or top your pizza with a drizzle
- Mix a scoop into risotto for a delicious pesto risotto
- Make pesto soup, which combines fresh vegetables, beans, noodles, and pesto in the broth
Get the Same Ingredients I Use For My Turnip Greens Pesto Recipe!
If you make this easy turnip pesto recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipes!
Let’s keep in touch – subscribe to my monthly newsletter to get free recipe inspiration.
Turnip Greens Pesto
- Blender or Food Processor
- In a food processor add the turnip greens, basil, garlic, walnuts, parmesan cheese, and salt. Pulse a few times, then turn the food processor on low and steam in the olive oil. Stop, and check the consistency, adding more olive oil if needed.
- Toss with fresh pasta, use pesto as a sauce on homemade pizza, or enjoy pesto as a dip for vegetables or bread.
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram!
This is one no waste turnip recipes you’ll love!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!