Smokey Shepherd’s Pie (Paleo, Whole30, Keto, Vegan Option)
This delicious shepherd’s pie is packed with low carb vegetables: onions, carrots, zucchini, celery, in a creamy and yummy sauce. A healthier take on this amazing comfort food dish - perfect for those chilly fall or winter nights! Its perfect to batch cool, meal prep, or make ahead for dinner or work lunches.
- 2 lbs ground beef or a mix of ground beef pork, and lamb (alternatively, 2 cups of Vegan ground beef or lentils)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 4 carrots diced
- 1 large zucchini diced into small cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup light cream or Cashew Cream for vegan option
- 4 cups mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes for a non-keto option to top.
- Paprika for garnish
In a large Dutch oven, brown the meat, drain the grease, and set the meat aside in another bowl.
Over low heat ddd the olive oil to the bottom of the dutch oven scraping any browned bits of meat from the bottom. Sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the celery, carrots, zucchini, and frozen peas. Stir to combine. Add the vegetable stock, paprika, and chili powder and simmer the vegetables on low minutes for 15 minutes.
Add the meat back into the dutch oven, and stir in the cream to combine.
Add the mashed cauliflower to the top of the shepherd’s pie in an even layer.
Set your oven to ‘Broil’ (I set mine to high) and brown the top for 5 or 10 minutes (always watching, so its doesn’t burn!) of the mash until it becomes crispy on top, and the shepherd’s pie is bubbling around the edges. I add a little paprika to the top for color as well.
Tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram so I can feature you!