These delicious vegan shwarma wraps are filled with spiced tofu, cucumber, parsley & tomato salad, and a creamy non-dairy yogurt sauce! A super decadent and yummy meal full of awesome mediterranean flavors.
I love stopping in at a good Shwarma shop! I always get the falafel (because OF COURSE) and my husband usually orders a shwarma platter. As a special treat, I wanted to try to make a tofu version for him that we could enjoy from the comfort of our home.
There aren’t many shwarma shops where we live in New England. I’m sure they exist somewhere, but I haven’t found one yet near me. We always stop for shwarmas when we head up to Canada. The beautiful thing is that there are delicious and authentic shwarma shops all over the place up there – Calgary & Ottawa got them covered 🙂
I wanted to make something with similar flavors that we could wrap up and have at home. I crumbled the tofu (Trader Joe’s High Protein Tofu FOR THE WIN!), added some spices, baked it until crispy, and filled the pitas.
This dish can be as easy or complicated as you’d like – depending on what you put inside. I went with a 5-Ingredient Vegan Tzatziki Sauce (highly recommend, was A+++), a super quick tomato/parsley salad, cucumber, carrots, and pickled radishes. The most complicated part was getting all the fillings together – but the wonderful thing is that these pitas can be pretty free-form and you can add what you like.
These turned out… AMAZING! I would have gone back for seconds but I was too full from everything I stuffed in the pitas. They were perfectly spiced, had a fantastic contrast in textures thanks to the cucumber yogurt sauce! I doubled the recipe so we could have it two nights in a row.
Tofu Shwarma Pitas (Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian)
For the Shwarma Filling
For the Toppings (Mix/match any you’d like!)
- 1 recipe 5-Ingredient Cucumber Dill Yogurt Sauce
- Tomato/Parsley Salad - Mix 1 bunch parsley with 1 ripe diced tomato add lemon juice and a little salt and pepper.
- cucumber Carrots, Red Onion work exceptionally well
- 5- Ingredient Quick Pickled Vegetables!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Ferenheit. Take block of tofu and squeeze out the excess water. Don’t worry if it breaks a little. Tear the tofu in to bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, coriander, paprika, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and salt and pepper if desired. Stir to combine making sure tofu is well coated with all the spices.
- Place tofu on a large baking sheet, in an even layer. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping the tofu halfway during cooking.
- Carefully open one end of the pita pocket, add the tofu and whatever fillings you prefer and wrap up the pita. Enjoy!