This Vegetarian Stroganoff recipe is a creamy decadent pasta, perfect for a meatless weeknight dinner option! Made with mushrooms, sour cream, thyme, and white wine, this hearty sauce packs huge favor with healthy nutrients.
I like to serve this mushroom stroganoff over pasta, but you can serve it with potatoes. It’s a cozy meatless comfort meal dinner that doesn’t take long to prepare.
Growing up I would occasionally eat Beef Stroganoff – My dad would make it from scratch and I loved eating it over noodles. I don’t think I had any kind of stroganoff in years- and this weekend seemed like the perfect time to create a vegetarian version.
I added mushrooms, white wine, onions, garlic, herbs, and sour cream to finish it off. I served it over rotini, and it made an amazingly hearty and delicious dinner.
This Vegetarian Stroganoff with Mushrooms Recipe Is:
- Loaded with Vegetables
- Great to Serve over Noodles or Potatoes
- Meatless, Vegetarian, and Gluten Free!
Make ‘Beef’ Stroganoff Vegetarian for a Healthy Version
This vegetarian stroganoff is a simple way to get extra veggies in your diet. I’m all about making recipes plant-based when I can. Vegetarian cooking does NOT have to be bland, boring, or flavorless… It’s quite the opposite when done right. By building meals around vegetarian pantry staples and swapping in a few plant-based ingredients you can make healthier meals for you and your family. I made a list of my 125 favorite vegan pantry ingredients that we use on a weekly basis, and check out all my vegetarian recipes here that are on The Herbeevore. These easy and healthy recipes are fantastic meatless meals for your table.
What’s In Vegetarian Beef Stroganoff?
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: I like to use this fruity Zoe olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s really inexpensive online here, so I keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value, I would highly recommend!
- Thyme – I used fresh thyme as we have it growing on our property, but this dried thyme would be a perfect substitute.
- White Wine
- All Purpose Flour: I normally use King Arthur organic all purpose flour for all my recipes, I love the consistency and texture of the crumb this flour produces. If you are gluten free, then a gluten free flour would be a nice substitute in this dish.
- Whole Milk – highly recommend using whole milk for ultimate creaminess… if you’re going to make this dish, then go all out (skip the skim)!
- Sour Cream – fantastic flavor and gives it a silky and creamy texture.
- Fresh Parsley
Vegetarian Comfort Food Dinner Recipes for the WIN!
This creamy mushroom stroganoff is the tastiest, coziest dinner meal. It’s perfect for a hearty meal for the family, and also great to make for company if you are having guests for dinner. It makes a great holiday meal as well. The oven does most of the work, so you can enjoy hands-off time while you prep sides or a salad!
More Hearty Vegetarian Recipes You’ll Love!
Get the Same Ingredients for this Creamy Meatless Stroganoff Recipe
As always, if you make this vegetarian stroganoff recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
- 12 ounces pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet onions chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onions/shallots, garlic, and mushrooms to the pan. Sauté on low for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the white wine and thyme to the pot, and cook for an additional 5 minutes until most of the wine evaporates. Stir in the flour until mixture becomes thick. Remove from heat and add the milk slowly, so you don't curdle the mixture.
- Add the cooked pasta, sour cream, and heat the pasta over low heat just until bubbling. Top with fresh parsley, and enjoy!
Save Money on Organic Groceries!I get all the fresh produce for my recipes from my garden and from Misfits Market - they sell all organic produce at a super discounted price, and it’s purchased direct from the farmers. We get Misfit Market boxes every month and love picking out our favorite seasonal produce for delivery. You can get $10 off your first $30 box by clicking here! If you think organic produce is too expensive... think again, and give Misfits Market a look!
Or tag me @theherbeevore in your photo on Instagram and I'll feature you in my stories!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Herbeevore and our beehives!