I adapted this recipe from my mother in law, and it was amazing! She made it for us for dinner the last time we visiting and I couldn’t get enough. I mean, anything with coconut cream is going to be amazing – but the combination of the cool coconut with the warm broth spices is absolutely perfect.
I always love finding new ways to jazz up chickpeas. My favorite recipe lately has been the Easy Weeknight Coconut Chickpea Curry. This recipe may look similar but is a completely new and different flavor profile. Its such a cozy dish for a cool fall or winter night.
This also falls into my ‘Easy Weeknight Meals’ category – as something that can be ready in about 30 minutes. Canned chickpeas for the win! I love simple and quick recipes for busy nights during the work week, and this one is great because it the complex flavors make it feel like it took a long time to cook.
Moroccan Lentil Chickpea Stew (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Red Onion diced
- 4 large carrots sliced
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1.5 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Tellicherry Black Pepper
- 4 cups No-Salt-Added Vegetable Stock
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk, full fat
- 1 crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 No-Salt-Added Chickpeas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil on low and sauté the garlic and onions for 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the carrots, and sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the coriander, cinnamon, crushed pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and continue to sauce for a few minutes until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the vegetable stock, coconut milk, tomatoes, and lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cilantro and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat, and add in the lemon juice.
- Serve over rice. Add additional chopped red onion, coconut cream, or cilantro to garnish.