This creamy decadent pasta is a perfect plant-based weeknight dinner option! Made with mushrooms, cashew cream, thyme, and white wine, this hearty sauce packs huge favor with healthy nutrients.
Who doesn’t love a rich, creamy, mushroom-y pasta? I, for one, REALLY LOVE THOSE THINGS.
Growing up I would occasionally eat Beef Stroganoff – My dad would make it from scratch and I have no idea what he put in it, but I loved eating anything over noodles so I really didn’t really care. I don’t think I had any kind of stroganoff in years- and this weekend seemed like the perfect time to create a vegan version!
After a long day of tractor repairs and fixing/moving tires, we were super hungry at dinner time. This dish came together in about 45 minutes (I’d love to create a one-pot version of this, so it can be ready in 25-30!) and it was perfect for some leisurely weekend cooking.
Its all about the cashew cream, which really makes this dish tasty and rich. I combined the cashew cream with lemon juice so it mimics the tang from sour cream. I had vegan plain yogurt as optional, but I added some and it gave the dish a really nice flavor!
This was an A+ dinner recipe, for sure adding it to my Favorites collection. It got high praise from the hubby too, which is always a bonus. 🙂
Note: This makes about 6-8 servings, depending on how hungry you are! Most of my recipes are created so that we get about 2-3 nights of meals out of them for 2 people, so I’m not cooking every night of the week 🙂
Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff (Vegan, Gluten Free, Non-Dairy)
- 3/4 cup cashews soaked in 1 cup hot water
- 1 (16 ounce) package pasta use Gluten Free for GF meal
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine/butter
- 2 onions or shallots chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup vegan plain unsweetened yogurt optional for flavor
- 1/2 chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Cover cashews with hot water, and let soak for about 30 minutes (by this time, the recipe should be almost done!)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the vegan margarine and add the onions/shallots, garlic, and mushrooms to the pan. Sauté on low for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the white wine and thyme to the pot, and cook for an additional 5 minutes until most of the wine evaporates. Stir in the flour until mixture becomes thick, and add the almond milk.
- In a blender, blend the cashews with their soaking water, and add the juice of one lemon. Blend on high for 1-2minutes until it becomes a cashew cream with a thick consistency.
- Now everything comes together: To the pot with the mushrooms/almond milk sauce: add the cooked pasta, cashew cream, and (optional) stir in the vegan yogurt if using. Add parsley. Taste and adjust salt/pepper levels.