This crispy chili tofu is sweet and spicy & a quick easy weeknight dinner! Ginger, lime, and brown sugar make this vegan tofu recipe irresistible.
Crispy tofu is a weekly dinner on our homestead, and this is our new favorite recipe! The tofu gets perfectly crunchy in the oven, and the tang of the spices pairs well with rice and vegetables. See our roadmap for Perfect Crispy Baked Tofu here.
We normally make tofu at least once a week to pair with sheet pan vegetables, stir fry, or Rich & Creamy Coconut Rice. Its great on top of a Pad Thai or over rice with 5 Minute Chimichurri sauce. I normally make tofu on the savory side, but decided to make a sweet version too. This crispy chili tofu version tastes almost like candied ginger!
The chili powder, ground ginger, lime juice, and brown sugar give this tofu its signature tang! You can add red pepper flakes too for some heat (I totally did on mine). Hitting the tofu with a little bit of salt right as it comes out of the oven really finishes this dish.
I love this tofu because its quick enough to make on a weeknight but tastes like it takes forever. I usually buy a high protein tofu so I don’t need to press it. And I can whip up the marinade and spice mixture in about 5 minutes while the oven heats up. This is a new favorite on our homestead, and we will be making it much more often!
As always, if you make this sweet chili tofu be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Sweet Crispy Chili Tofu (Vegan, Gluten Free, High Protein)
- 1 16 oz extra firm tofu, sliced vertically, then cut diagonally
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Few shakes Red Pepper Flakes optional
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain and press tofu for about 15 minutes (I use a High-Protein tofu, which doesn’t require pressing!)
- In a large bowl, place the tofu, corn starch, chili sauce, lime juice, chili powder, ground ginger, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes. Stir and coat to combine.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the parchment paper. Place the tofu in a single row on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, flipping half way.
- Take the tofu out of the oven, and sprinkle with salt.