This delicious and zesty southwest potato corn chowder (vegan, GF) packs a lot of flavor while remaining light and healthy! It features tons of fresh produce: Carrots, Peppers, Corn, Potatoes, Celery, Onions, and Spices simmered in a creamy broth. Perfect for meal prep, batch cooking, and making ahead!
This soup is unbelievably healthy and flavorful – its packed with tons of fresh produce! Summer is swinging in New England right now, and this was a great soup to make to feature all the amazing produce available right now. Fresh corn, bell peppers, carrots, onions, and potatoes are all abundant at local markets and roadside stands.
This potato corn chowder is actually one of the very first things I made in my Instant Pot too! I just got one last week and wanted to see what that baby could do… and I was very impressed. I got the Instant Pot 8-quart Ultra, and am amazed at how easy making a giant pot of soup was, and how great it was for meal prepping batches of soup like this recipe.
The recipe below makes a LOT of soup: 6 quarts to be exact. Which is great for us on the homestead: I can prep it for our work lunches for the week and freeze the extras. My kinda recipe!
Getting really good corn in season is the key – it gives the soup a wonderful sweetness which pairs well with the creamy texture and the spice. If it’s not fresh corn season, use frozen corn instead. The creamed corn at the end is a little secret that gives this soup a light creaminess – but is still plant based!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot or pressure cooker… no problem! This soup would be amazing in a slow cooker or on the stove top. Just add the almond milk, creamed corn, and cilantro in the end when the soup has already cooked, right before serving!
As always, if you make this potato corn chowder be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Southwest Potato Corn Chowder (Vegan, Paleo, Whole30, Gluten Free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 bell pepper diced I used 1 red and 1 green
- 3 jalapeños seeded and chopped
- 4 carrots diced
- 4 cups corn can use frozen or fresh
- 8 medium potatoes can use red or yellow
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 14 ounce can creamed corn
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute, and when it become hot add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for a 5-6 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Turn off the Saute feature.
- Add the celery, bell pepper, jalapeños, carrots, corn, potatoes, cumin, coriander, and vegetable stock to the Instant Pot. Set to ‘Pressure Cook’ for 20 minutes, and allow the soup to do a Natural Release of pressure once it’s done cooking and remove lid.
- Add the almond milk, creamed corn, cilantro, and green onions to the soup and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt, pepper, or chili spice as needed.
- Garnish with a squeeze of lime juice, extra cilantro, and green onions.