This tofu noodle soup is a great alternative to chicken noodle soup without the meat!
Last year as a housewarming gift, our friends gave us a huge meat smoker. It’s great for entertaining when we have a lot of people over for a gathering or party. Its super easy to throw a bunch of prepped and marinated things in the morning and have them ready by dinner time.
One thing we love to smoke is tofu! There are usually a few vegetarians at every party, and the smoked tofu is a great way to get some plant-based protein on the menu. We had a ton of leftover smoked tofu from a party last weekend, so this soup was born! I love how it tastes a traditional homemade chicken soup yet its completely vegan.
The smokey flavor from the tofu is perfect in the soup and really infuses in the broth. I used little star-shaped pasta in this recipe (because they are CUTE and I was keeping them around for this perfect soup occasion) but it would also work with any other short pasta – orzo, macaroni, ditalini, etc.
The trick with the pasta is not to add it too early to the soup to prevent it from overcooking. I cooked the soup and the pasta separately on the stovetop. When we were ready to dish up, I ladled some pasta in the bowl first, then ladled a few scoops of the veggies/broth to combine. Once the soup was cooled (2 hours later), then I added the remainder of the pasta to the soup pot. Nothing worse than soft mushy pasta which absorbs all the stock!
As always, if you make this vegan tofu noodle soup be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Smoked Tofu Noodle Soup (Vegan, Gluten Free, Comfort Food)
- 1.5 (14 ounce) Packages smoked tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cups celery chopped
- 6 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) package Pasta I used stars, but any small shape will do
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Himalayan sea salt if needed
- Dice the smoked tofu into small bite-sized pieces
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onions and garlic, sauté for 5 minutes on low until soft. Add the carrots and celery, and sauté for another 5 minutes on low.
- Add the vegetable stock and thyme and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the smoked tofu and parsley, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- When ready to serve, add desired amount of pasta in bowl and ladle the soup over it.
- Once the large soup pot has cooled, add the remainder of the pasta so it doesn’t absorb too much hot liquid.