This easy and delicious Potato Coconut Curry comes together quickly for a weeknight dinner! Its packed with fresh healthy vegetables in a tasty vibrant sauce, and is naturally vegan & gluten free!
There are so many wonderful things about this dish – first of all its a One Pot Meal! There’s less to clean up afterwards, and I can enjoy throwing everything in one large soup pot on the stove while it cooks.
This Potato Coconut Curry is one of those delicious meals I call “Easy Weeknight Meals,” meaning that I can work a full day at the office, and still come home to prepare this without much fuss. It takes about 40-ish minutes, which is the perfect amount of time for a batch of rice to be steaming in the rice cooker. Both can be ready about the same time!
Its naturally vegan & gluten free! This plant-based curry is free from animal ingredients and still is full of rich and comforting goodness.
It makes a lot of leftovers. I’ve been really into batch cooking and meal prepping lately – and this recipe fits super well into both of those categories. This curry makes about 8 servings… so if my husband has seconds (which he totally did both nights and RAVED about it) the curry will last about 2 or 3 nights.
Its super cost-effective and inexpensive to make. Potatoes, canned tomatoes, coconut milk, rice…. this recipe uses a ton of pantry staples and foods I always have on hand. No fancy ingredients needed, just delicious, simple, whole foods.
It. Tastes. AMAZING! Got an A+ rating from the hubby and myself. I love easy curries and this is so perfect for these cool spring nights when its still chilly enough to have a fire going in our wood stove. It is also surprisingly light! I had a bowl for dinner, and an hour later ended up doing a few miles on the treadmill.
Filing this recipe under ‘Favorites’ for sure! 🙂
Easy Potato Coconut Curry (Vegan, Gluten Free, Whole30)
For the Curry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk full fat
- 6 large red potatoes diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup raw cashews whole or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional Crushed Red Pepper flakes to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon for heat)
- Slices of Lime
- Red Onion minced
- Raw Cashews
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, salt, and sauté for5- 6 minutes until soft.
- Add the curry powder to the veggies, stir to combine, cook for a few minutes until the veggies absorb the curry.
- Add the diced tomatoes with their juice, vegetable stock, coconut milk, and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes until the potatoes become soft.
- Add the cilantro and stir in the lime juice. Add the crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Stir to combine.
- Serve over rice or quinoa!