This Mustard Green Pesto Is:
- Packed with flavor!
- Slightly spicy
- Raw vegan, gluten free, paleo friendly, whole30 approved!
Whats In This Mustard Green Pesto?
- Fresh Mustard Greens: These grow like cray in our garden, and pesto is the best mustard greens recipe we have found that highlights the flavor of these awesome leaves.
- Basil: Traditional in Italian pesto, the fresh basil adds a kick and complexity that pairs really well with the mustard greens.
- Garlic: I used a whole head of garlic in this pesto (but then again I am a serious garlic lover!)
- Nuts: I used almonds which I think give the sauce a nice hearty bite, but you can use any nut you have on hand. You can use toasted nuts, or toast raw nuts in the oven right before blending for a delicious roasted flavor.
- Salt: You can use regular or garlic salt…. I used garlic, but given that there is a whole head of garlic in this too, up to you!
- Olive Oil: Start with 1/2 cup to drizzle in as the pesto is blending. Use more if you like a more liquid-y sauce, and save some to drizzle on top if desired or if you’re just feeling #fancy.
How Do I Make This Pesto?
- In a food processor add the mustard greens, basil, garlic, almonds, and salt.
- Pulse a few times, then turn the food processor on low and steam in the olive oil. Stop, and check the consistency, adding more olive oil if needed.
- Toss with fresh pasta, use pesto as a sauce on homemade pizza, or enjoy pesto as a dip for vegetables or bread
So, this pesto is already vegan, gluten free, whole30, and paleo friendly! Traditionally pesto recipes use cheese, which I opted to leave out of this for a dairy free version. But if you aren’t vegan or dairy-free then I would recommended adding a big scoop of freshly grated parmesan in the sauce or to top your pasta before serving.
A Few Ways to Enjoy Pesto
- Toss with cooked pasta for a delicious dinner
- Add to Garlic Lovers Garlic Bread
- Use pesto as a pizza sauce, or top your pizza with a drizzle
- Mix a scoop into risotto for a delicious pesto risotto
- Make pesto soup, which combines fresh vegetables, beans, noodles, and pesto in the broth
As always, if you make this mustard greens pesto be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Mustard Green Pesto (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Blender or Food Processor
- 2 cups mustard greens loosely chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt I used garlic salt
- 1/2 olive oil plus more if needed
- In a food processor add the mustard greens, basil, garlic, almonds, and salt. Pulse a few times, then turn the food processor on low and steam in the olive oil. Stop, and check the consistency, adding more olive oil if needed.
- Toss with fresh pasta, use pesto as a sauce on homemade pizza, or enjoy pesto as a dip for vegetables or bread.